Chapter Nineteen

Alexandria opened the door to her home.

        "You know..." I started hesitantly. "I don't know if I'm so comfortable being here again..."

        Alexandria frowned, pulling me by my arm to the back of the house.

        "Let's just sit in the backyard, okay?"

        "I don't know if that's any better."

        "I know but I'd rather talk here. We'll get you to your parents as soon as you explain exactly what happened."

        "But they're so worried about me," I cried, feeling guilty. "I need to tell them I'm safe."

        Shane put a hand on my shoulder. "Naminé, we were just as worried. If you don't tell me what happened soon, I'll have to go out and find the guy responsible myself."

        I sighed heavily. "Alright, alright."

        I began divulging the details one by one. Alexandria made this difficult; I couldn't tell her why he had kidnapped me. By the time I finished, Alexandria's jaw nearly touched the grass under our feet.

        "I don't understand... He kidnapped you to take you to a dance? What is wrong with him?"

        I grimaced. "The real question is what is not wrong with him? He was so gross."

        Shane sat quietly, silently seething.

        "Maybe I could have left a few details out..."

        Shane visibly clenched his fists to the point of coloring his knuckles white. "No," he said with his teeth clamped tightly together. "I need to know everything."

        "Well, I've told you both everything... And, as much as I love both of you, I really need to get to my parents."

        I stood up and walked to the front of the house without looking to see if they had followed me.

        I just need to get home...

        I let the tears finally hit me and started sprinting along the sidewalk.

        My parents... they must be so worried.

        Never had I felt so stricken with guilt. I hadn't allowed myself to think about my parents because I knew I would immediately know how they felt.

        Of course, Shane was no comfort to them either. They probably blamed my disappearance on Alexandria and Shane.

        I slowed to a stop but my tears didn't. The world became a blur and I sat myself down on a curb. I touched my cheek lightly, feeling the water run down it.

        Suddenly, a car screeched to a halt in front of me. I gasped, jumping to my feet.

        No, he can't find me!

        The tears rushed down my face as I picked up the pace once more. The pit pat of feet closing in behind me only made me increase my speed. I gasped, inhaling as much air as I could. My thighs burned but I kept pushing on.

        Just then, I felt a strong hand pull my arm back and I closed my eyes, waiting for him to hurt me.

        “Naminé! Why did you run? What is wrong with you?”

        I opened my eyes slowly, allowing Shane’s familiar face to come into view. I sighed, relieved that it was only him.

        I bit my lower lip, the tears somewhat subsiding. “I’m sorry, Shane.” I looked down, unable to look him in the eye. “I got paranoid... I didn’t know you guys would come after me.”