Chapter Thirteen

We walked to the door of Shane’s dad house. Knocking, we heard a stumble and he opened the door.

        “Yes?” He looked slightly drunk.

        “Hi, dad. I wanted to ask you a question. Can we come in?”

        His dad, William, eyed us suspiciously but then moved so we could come in.

        The living room was completely trashed. There were bottles and cans everywhere. Trash was piled on top of the coffee table. The sofas had stains and bottles hidden between the cushions that were bulging out.

        I sat down on one of the cleanest sofas and Shane sat next to me.

        “Okay, what is this about?” Shane’s dad inquired.

        “Did I have a brother I didn’t know about, dad?”

        “Yup. His name is Steven.”

        “Why didn’t you tell me this before?”

        “Because I didn’t want you to be mad at me. I thought you’d hate me if I told you.”

        “Okay, well, where does he live?”

        “He lives around your neighborhood. He looks exactly like you when you were younger. Why are you asking?”

        “Because Naminé saw him the other night and she also said he looked exactly like me so we were wondering if there was a possibility of me having a younger brother and I guess we were right. Who is the mother?”

        “A woman named Carly.”

        “Why did you cheat? When did this happen?”

        “I told you because your step-mom and I were having troubled times and I was bored in the relationship. I thought if I had a quick affair, it would solve all our problems and it basically did. It was seven years ago so it doesn’t really matter now. Carly’s just lucky that I stuck around for the kid and that Charlotte wasn’t mad so she let me see him. We just didn’t want you to know because of what you might do or say. I thought you would be mad and hurt that I had an affair so we kept it a secret. Now I’m telling you.”

        “Well then. Does Steven know about me?”

        “Yes, he does. I told him that you were his brother but he couldn’t see you because you weren’t here. He was mad and very sad. He really wanted to see you.”

        “Can we meet him?”

        “Sure. I’ll call Carly’s house right now and ask her to bring him over.”

        As Shane’s dad went to go call Carly, I looked at Shane.

        “See, I told you you had a younger brother! I’m so smart, bro.”

        “Be quiet. I just didn’t think it was possible because obviously they didn’t tell me so how could I ever have any idea?”

        “Well, now you get to meet him! So it’s all good.”

        William walked back into the room and said,

        “I called Carly. She said she’ll bring him over now. He’s excited to see you, Shane.”

        “I’m excited to see him as well.”

        Just then the doorbell rang. William got up and answered it. In walked a woman and a boy.