(Chapter Thirty-Nine.)

Tears slid down my face as my face was discussing what was happening with Troy and Maria. Hermes was holding me from behind as we leaned against the wall, away from the others but it was hard to find comfort. I had killed someone. I thought I could do it, after all what Carmina has done but when I saw her burning alive—I just wanted to save her.

“Can you all stop it?” Hermes said coldly. He rubbed my arms, “It’s been one crazy night, but we should all sleep on it.”

My mom got up and walked over to me, “He’s right, Jaycee. You look exhausted. Everyone, we’ll talk tomorrow. Right now, I just want all of this settle in. We’ll talk about it tomorrow, alright?”

“Everything not going to be same now.” Troy said. I turned my head and looked at him. “Our people will learned of your family abilities. Everything going to change.”

“We don’t know what that means for now.” Maria said. “It could be a good or bad thing.”

I looked up at Hermes and leaned my head against his chest, sighing heavily. He rubbed my arms, pulling me close towards him.

My mom sighed heavily, “Change is always good.”

“Abigail, not all of us going to like this.” Troy said. “Our people—it’s like politics. They’re figure out something to—“

“I don’t care about that right now.” I said, speaking finally. “One night—I just want one night where everything is at peace. No one is a witch, warlock, or a wolf. I don’t care about it right now. Right now, I just wanna go lay down. What is the problem is now finished and I’m no way ready to start another one on the same night.”

Grandpa stood up, sighing heavily, “She’s right. We should all just be thankful everyone is okay. Tomorrow we’ll all meet up at my house and we’ll discuss stuff but right now we should rest. My children and grandchild did allot of stuff tonight than what they ever did before. We should all go.”

Hermes followed me towards the staircase and I knew his parents were watching us, but he didn’t leave my side. When I got up to my room, I never been so happy to be here. I sat on my bed, staring at my floor. Hermes sat next to me, silent as I way. I reached my hand out and took his hand in mine. He was as scared as I was.

The others had found us covering our eyes and scared.

“Do you think we could ever un-see what we did?” I asked him.

“Of course it’s possible.” he said. “Magic is the last thing I want to do right now though.”

I nodded, “Same here.” In the corner of my eyes I saw him turn his head to look at me so I turned my head to look at him, “I would do it over it again though. I really thought something might have happened to you and—“

He shook his head, “I don’t wanna talk about tonight.”

“Don’t leave me.” I said. “I don’t wanna be alone."

“I wasn’t planning on it.” he said. He reached up and brushed my hair out of my face, “You’re so much braver than I thought you were.”

We got under the blankets and I rested my head on his chest. It was quiet the whole time, neither of talking but I found myself okay with that. As long as he was here, I didn’t care that both of didn’t say a single word the rest of the night. I tried not to think of Carmina and how the guilt spread threw me like wild fire. I don’t know what happened to her after I had covered my eyes and I don’t think I want to know. I just know she’s dead and it’s because of me.

Was there really no other choice?

*

I gasped as I woke up, waking Hermes up. I sat up, running my hands threw my hair and sighing heavily. I was dreaming of what happened but Hermes hadn’t covered my eyes. I had been watching as she burned alive and it was horrible.