(Chapter Nine.)

(Jaycee)

            I stalked up behind Hermes and when I came up beside him, I grabbed his right arm with both of mine, clingy next to him basically, “Hello!”, I said, smiling up at him. We were outside the school and we just got off school grounds.

            Hermes paused, sliding his arm out of mines, “Jaycee, no.”, he said.

            I grinned up at him, “Okay, okay! But I thought whatever you have to do today, I could just do it with you. Friends help friends.”, I told him.

            “You don’t get it.”, he said, confusing me. “I want you to stay away from this, I mean it this time.”.

            My grin disappeared from my face and I brush my hair out of my face as the wind blew a little. Something about his tone of his voice, the look on his face, and the way he just looked so stressed and annoyed, it bugged me and yes, hurt. “But…why? We had so much yesterday.”

            “Because I don’t want to be your friend.”, he said, his voice hard and cold.

            “Why? And what did you mean this morning until you take care of something? What is it?”, I asked him. “Hermes, please tell me.”.

            “I can’t,”, he stressed out then breathed out hard, calming himself down. “I just can’t, Jaycee. It’ll be much better if you didn’t know anything. I have to go.”, he said and was about to turn away until he saw my face.

            I was trying my best to put a mask on by forcing a small smile on my face, but my eyes began to water up. It took all my powers not to cry, I wasn’t going to cry. I wasn’t going to be one of those girls who cry at every single then, I’ll just stuck it up. I nodded once, “Okay…fine, I’ll see you later.”, I said, turning half way around, “Maybe.”, I whispered before putting my bag on my right shoulder and walked away.

            I took my sweet time going home, it gave me lots of time to think. I was hurt, but I wasn’t going to let this effect me, but every time I tried to think of something, a little thing would always remind of Hermes.

            I made it home though in thirty minutes and when I went in, the house was quiet. My mom was probably at her office with some client and my dad was at work. Jace was probably just got out of school and going over to his friend house to play video games. I went into the kitchen and opened the cabinet that had candy and grabbed a hand full of chocolate kisses.

            I dragged my ass up the stairs and changed out these stupid cloths I couldn’t I wore today, trying hard to impress Hermes when all it did was fail. I changed into some baggy sweat pants, a band t-shirt, and pulled my dark brown hair up in a pony tail. I walked over to the window and sat on the bench, looking out the window as I unwrapped the kisses, popping them in my mouth

            (Hermes)

            I walked into my house and my father was over at the computer, on some website for work. I hesitated, but walked over to his side and sat down on box of books he hadn’t unwrapped yet. “Hey dad?”.

            He didn’t look away, just push his glasses up the bridge of his nose, “Yeah, Hermes?”. I saw in his mind he was hoping I’ll be a little quick since he had to get this report done or he just made a bad impression on his third week of work.

            “What…what is that protection charm spelled again?”, I asked

            “A dragon charm with the Latin line proteget te a malo.”, he said, rubbing his chin before he realized what I was asking and turned to look at me, curious, “Why?”.