Chapter Two

I applied for a scholarship to Paris last summer with my friends. At first, it was just for fun because I know that I wouldn't pass the screening.

Besides, they'll be only choosing one student and I doubt that it would be me, acknowledging the fact that I am out every night drinking like a fish instead of doing my research.

I was still hoping that I'd pass because I think that I am worthy of the scholarship minus my drinking problem. I was always on top of my classes.

"Miss Anderson, you almost didn't make it to class again." Mr. De Marco said looking directly to my eyes.

I glanced to my wrist watch and I noticed that it was almost 9:30 am.

"I'm sorry, sir. I woke up late." I said, bowing my head as I walk past his desk looking for my seat.

Before I sit, I saw him snicker.

"As you all know, we will announce today the lucky student who will be sent to study in École Spéciale d'Architecture in Paris---" words were coming out of Mr. De Marco with a French accent.

"---he/she will be studying there for a whole year! Imagine that. Taking up your junior year in Paris! Isn't that exciting?" He asked while he was opening up his arms in participation of an answer.

But no one answered.

Perhaps they were too scared or excited.

"In other news, let's get on with the usual class discussion on Architectural Theory." Mr. De Marco said.

I tried to focus on what my professor was saying but Mark kept on fidgeting with his arm chair and it was starting to annoy me.

"Mark, stop it."

He looked at me and stopped.

After the discussion, I gathered my things and went out of the room.

I was anxious to look at the result of the scholarship screening. They were all running around the hallway to check the announcement board.

I can hear muffled sounds as I walk past the people.

I can hear them whispering.

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY WHISPERING?

As I walked pass Mark, He looked at me like he was so proud of me.

They were silent.

I didn't want to draw conclusions that they chose me just yet so I checked the board.

CONGRATULATIONS! SARAH LEIA ANDERSON FOR PASSING THE 2014 SCHOLARSHIP SCREENING FOR PARIS.

PLEASE PROCEED TO THE ADMINISTRATION OFFICE AFTER CLASSES

I couldn't breathe. IS THIS REAL? How did I even pass?!

I went straight to Mark and a couple of my friends and gave them a hug.

"Oh my god, S! I am so proud of you." Mark said.

"Congratulations, Dork!!!" Anika said.

I was overwhelmed. Everything seemed so surreal.

I composed myself as I was about to enter the office.

I gave a faint knock.

"Come in." Mr. Preston I assumed was the one who was inside.

"Good Afternoon, Mr. Preston." I said while I placed my bag on the couch beside me.

"Well, congratulations, my dear, I knew from the very start that you'll soon become a great architect." He praised.

"Heh. Thank you, sir, for those kind words." My cheeks burned from embarrassment and I did not know why. Hearing compliments seemed so foreign to me although I hear them a lot.

He handed me a folder containing the forms to fill out and the list of things I needed to do to complete my academic transfer to Paris.

"Well, that's all. See you after you've completed everything." He handed me his hand and I took it and shook his hand.

I left his office quietly and head home.