Silver Linings

Valerie's POV

The entire day was boring up until lunchtime. All of the girls got a bit strange when lunchtime on a Friday rolled around. Even though they though their actions were discrete, it was the most obvious thing in the world, well to me anyway, none of the teachers seem to notice.

Without fail, every Friday at lunchtime, no matter what bathroom you walk into there are swarms of girls putting on makeup, undoing the first 20 buttons on their shirts (well, maybe 2 but you get the jist) and rolling up their skirts so that if they bent down even the slightest bit you would see everything, and I mean everything. Sometimes, in the bathrooms, there are girls curling or straightening their hair and brushing their teeth (brushing you teeth, really?! You think one of those gorgeous guys is going to go for some horrendous princess like all of you?)

But don't get me wrong, if I could do all do all of this to make some beautiful guy fall in love with me at first sight, there's no doubt that I would, it's just there's something terribly wrong with my face.

I headed to my class during lunchtime because I can't handle all the girls practising batting their eyelids, twisting their hair and standing with their boobs and ass out.

I get there early and cringe at the sight of a boy already sitting there.

"Shit." I whisper under my breath and turn on the balls of my feet in attempt to escape.

"Valerie, hey!" Gary, the guy, yelled.

Okay, remember when I said that the boys school was a school full of gorgeous guys, well, Gary is the one exception and he seems to be the only one who talks to me. And I know I'm not the prettiest girl out there but I'm still allowed to have high standards, right?

"I haven't seen you since last year!" Gary exclaimed.

"Because it's been holidays?" I said this as a question because it's kind of obvious why he hasn't seen me.

"Right right." He poked his tongue out of his mouth and I had to close my eyes and scrunch up my nose when I felt a bit a Gary's spit fly out of his mouth and onto my face. I wiped my face dramatically and shuffled around Gary so that I could walk to my seat at the back of the room.

Just to make this last period even better Antie shit-pants has to come in.

"Oh, Valeria!" She squealed.

"Not my name, Antoinette." I spat out her name like it was a piece of shit in my mouth.

But she completely ignored me, as she does. "I'm so glad I have a friend in this class!" She yelled and began walking, looking to sit in the seat right next to me.

"We're not friends, Antie." Would you be surprised if I told you that she ignored me once again? I bet you wouldn't.

I placed my hand on the chair next to me so that she wouldn't sit there.

"Oop." She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw my hand there. "Vally, you'll have to move your hand if I am to sit there." I rolled my eyes.

"Clearly, Antie, I do not want you to sit there." She gasped and I swear I held her mutter a 'gosh'. Like, who says that? We don't live in the 1600's. "Why are you even in this class?" I asked, my question masking with fake politeness that Antie shit-pants would never be able to see though.

"I transferred from drama." Antie stated, matter-of-factly.

"Right, that's why Friday afternoons used to be so good." I sighed, thinking back to the old days when all of the drama, dance and any other performing arts geeks used to go the boys school. But then Antie had to go an change classes and I have to suffer, how is that fair?

But, you know, every lesson that has it's lows (like as low has hell) must have it's highs right? This is where you say: yes, of course.

Well, just as Antie walked away two angels appeared in the doorway: California and Flynn West.

Argh, sigh. Flynn West. Gorgeous, funny, gorgeous, smart, sexy, athletic, and did I mention gorgeous?

I wave to Cal but still I didn't take my eyes off Flynn.

She took I seat next to me and Flynn was a directly in front of me, only a few rows ahead, that's way I have a perfect view of his perfect hair.

Flynn, Flynn, Flynny, Flynn, Flynn. So gorgeous. He has been going to the boys school across the road ever since he started school but he goes home most weekends. And I have had a tiny little crush on him for as long as I can remember. Maybe not tiny. He has been in at least one of my classes every year and he gets more and more handsome by the day.

"Did you see that kid I walked in with?" Cal whispered in my ear. "Oh hot dayum." I felt blood rushing to my cheeks and I don't even know why.

She doesn't know that I like him and either does he. Maybe it's out of jealousy? There's no way I should be jealous. He's had too many girlfriends to count while I've known him, and I'm happy for him - I really am, I would never be pretty enough for him. I should just tell her, she is my new friend after all and I'm sure I can trust her. And, I'm pretty sure she fears me a little so she better watch out if she ever does something wrong.

"Back off sister, he's mine."

By Rainbow