Hurricane Jane

California's POV

The door erupted, slamming into Flynn and knocking him into the wall.

"My baby!"

"Jane," I sighed.

"Oh, California! I'm your mum! Mummy! Just say it!"

"Jane, leave."

"You mean, Mummy, please come back later."

"No. I mean get out."

"Cal," Gary's voice reminded me that my only friends were still in the room.

"Cal!" Jane shrieked. "I don't think so! Her name is California, like a sunny summer's day. Who are you anyway?"

Gary looked to me for help. "I'm her boyf- uh, her friend."

"Oh, honey! I don't care, as long as you use protection! Here," Jane fished through her yellow handbag and handed Gary a paper bag. "I had them pre-packed." She told him.

"Um, thanks?"

"No worries, love. Anything else you need? If you want, I've got a friend who could get you a fake ID?"

Gary just shook his head blankly.

"Oh, and there's another one! California, you're just like I was at your age!" Jane laughed, and handed another paper bag to a bewildered Flynn.

"And who is this!" Jane grabbed Val and pulled her into a tight hug. "You must be California's bestie! Oh, you're so adorable!" She poked Val's nose, then turned back to me.

"You never told me about the cute guys," she stage whispered. Gary blushed intensely.

"I didn't tell you anything." I replied flatly.

"Exactly! California, I'm your mum! You can tell me anything!"

"Jane, please leave." Jane just kept babbling nonsense to herself, but I knew how to get her to shut up.

"Mum," I said. "Can you come back later?"

Jane looked at me in stunned surprise, then hugged me tightly.

"My baby!" She cried.

"Okay, okay. Leave now."

Jane shook her head. "I have to tell you something." She looked pointedly at Val and the boys. "It's a secret." She whispered.

Flynn, Gary and Val filed out, closing the door behind them.

"Okay," Jane started, still whispering. "I don't know if I've told you this, but I want to go to California."

"You might have mentioned it once or twice," I replied sarcastically.

"Well, there's a program there, a teenage rehabilitation program, and I thought you could go."

"Jane, I don't need rehab."

"Oh of course, hun. I know. It's just- the program offers free accommodation for families, and the flights are paid for by the company."

"Jane. I don't need rehab." I repeated, more forcefully.

"It's not drug rehab, silly. It's just like a correction centre or something. It'd be fun! Like a 3 year long school camp!"

"3 years!" I screamed, almost knocking myself out by jumping so suddenly. "Are you insane?"

"I thought you didn't want to come here?" Jane asked, looking hurt. "And this way, you won't have to pay me back."

"I like it here!" I shrieked. Surely Val could hear me, and would rescue me soon?

"California. You're coming with me. I've already talked to Miss whatever her name is. We're leaving after some presentation thing. She said you were a part of it."