Goodbye, Val

California's POV

I didn't watch Val's train leave.

Gary's arms held me, and I dripped a stream of tears onto his shirt.

Flynn didn't watch either.

He sat on the platform with his head in his hands.

It started to rain. A cold wind blew my hair around to fan my face. I still didn't move.

"We've got to go now," Gary whispered.

I nodded tearfully at him, then held my hand out to Flynn. He stared at it, looking so pitifully lost and confused.

"Let's go, Flynn," I sniffled. "She's gone."

Flynn glared at me, then got himself up and walked down the platform, away from us, hands jammed into his pockets.

"Should I..." I trailed off as I saw the look on Gary's face.

"Don't leave me," he whispered.

I shook my head.

"No, Cal, that's not good enough! Promise you won't ever leave me!" He said fiercely.

"Gary,"

"Cal." He said firmly. "I need you. I don't want to lose you, and be like that," he pointed in Flynn's direction. "Please. Don't leave me."

By way of answer, I kissed him. It was raining and it was horrible.

"I won't leave you, Gary." I whispered.

He looked reassured.

"I'm going to get Flynn," Gary said, giving me a sharp, painful reminder of Val. "I'll be back."

He winked and strolled off, whistling.

Goddamn hormonal teenage boys.

~

The moment I walked in the door, Mrs Fernwick swept me up in the hug of the century.

"Oh, Forni, what are we going to do?" She cried.

"Mrs- Fern- Wick-" I gasped. "Down."

She dropped me unceremoniously. "Sorry, love."

I didn't stay for conversation. I nodded curtly at her then stalked off in the direction of my room.

I planned to get some homework done; it felt like I had completely forgotten about school, what with all the money issues and the production and Gary and Val, plus the whole 'I'm sick' thing.

Unfortunately, when I went to sit on my bed, there was already a man sitting there.

A very recognisable man.

"Oh my God!" I squealed.

The man in question nodded wearily. "La, la, la, it's David Samson, etcetera, etcetera." He said in a mildly aggressive tone.

"Uh," I squeaked.

"Now get out of my daughter's room. Get back to the kitchen and make sure dinner is good for my darling." He said.

"Dad!" Annie, who I hadn't even noticed, gasped. "She's my roommate!"

"Roommate?!" He thundered. "You are Annie Samson! Why do you have such a lowlife roommate!?"

I looked from Mr Samson to Annie, shocked.

"That's it! I'm going to Nadine and we're changing this! You can have your own room, and you won't have to put up with her anymore."

He jumped off my bed and stepped briskly out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

"Now I see why you have mental issues," I said to Annie. I regretted the words the moment they left my mouth.

Now, there's two ways she could have taken it. She could have laughed it off, or she could have been like her father and stormed out.

Fortunately, Annie did the former.

"Oh, wow. No one's been that blunt with me about it! They all just tiptoe around it, and act like it never happened." Annie laughed.

"Well, it did happen!" She yelled at the place her father had just disappeared through. "And you can't ignore it forever! I was sick! It happened! I'm fine now, but it happened!"

Annie took a deep breath and dusted off her dress. "Okay. That's better."

"Alrightio then," I smiled. "Glad you're feeling better."

"Yeah," she sighed. "I heard about Valerie. Are you okay?"

Am I okay?

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll miss her, but I'm fine. Thanks."

We looked at each other for a moment, but the silence grew awkward.

"So... Are you going to get your own room?" I asked her.

"Ugh," she looked like that idea did not appeal at all, which made me smile. "The only spare room is Val's, but I don't- I don't know if I could go there. It's just- wrong."

I nodded.

"But I think Dad is going to stay for a bit, so he might stay there. Or in Mrs Fernwick's room." She spat in disgust.

"Mrs- Mrs Fernwick?" I choked.

She nodded glumly. "Yeah, they've had a thing for a long time now. Weird, huh?"

"Yeah, weird..." I agreed, then I nodded a goodbye and ducked out of the room to call someone.

Written by Ansel