Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Reveal Of The Female Titan

"They're late. What's keeping Erwin and the others? They'll let the Military Police beat them here," Levi said then took a sip of his black tea, "I'll bet his constipation is acting up again."

Eren let out a small laugh at the comment. Alex, Eren, and Levi were all waiting at the usual wooden table that got to listen in on all the important conversations of the Scout Regiment. Levi was surprisingly wearing normal cloths -- a gray shirt with baggy pants. He had badly sprained his ankle from pushing Alex out of the way, so he was unable to do much except paperwork that Erwin gave to him. Alex and Eren were both in their uniforms -- Alex had gotten a new one since hers was beyond saving from the mess of blood on it. She still had many bandages wrapped around her stomach, and she was told she had to change them every night before she went to bed. She was also supposed to take it slow, and not do much moving. She was especially supposed to take at least a week off from training. Alex wouldn't admit it, but every time she turned it hurt at least a little bit. She hadn't told anyone what had happened to receive the deep wound, because they would most likely kill Eren for harming another human. 

"Captain, you're quite talkative today," Eren said sort of surprised by Levi's unnatural behavior. Eren had been avoiding any contact with Alex as much as he could for the past few days. After what had happened outside the walls, he couldn't bring himself to look at her. He knew she was in pain -- he was just surprised he didn't actually kill her that day. His punch was powerful, 'cause it had been intended for the Female Titan. But no -- he had hit Alex instead. He felt bad about it, and his guilt had been eating him away.

"Don't be stupid. I've always been talkative," Levi said then rubbed his leg, "Damn." Not only had his ankle been sprained badly, but the rest of his leg wasn't the best either. There was internal bruising from the ankle and up. 

"I'm sorry. If I hadn't screwed up that time, you wouldn't be.." Eren trailed off looking down at the table.

"I've told you before, no one knows how things will turn out," Levi said glancing over at Alex. Alex felt his eyes on her and turned her head. Their eyes met for a second, before Levi looked down at his tea. "You shouldn't have done that," Alex said bluntly. Levi raised his thin black eyebrows and gave her a questioning look, "Done what?"

"Pushed my out of the way. Cheating death only makes it worse," Alex said with sigh. In all honesty, she wouldn't have cared if she died that day. She would be with her parents and Elisa again. She didn't have any friends on Earth -- so no one would miss her anyways. Levi opened his mouth to say something, but was quickly cut off when the wooden door creaked. 

"Sorry I'm late," Erwin said closing the door.

"Not at all.." Eren started to say but noticed his friend, "Why're you guys..?"

"We found someone we believe is the Female Titan," Erwin explained causing Eren to gasp and Alex to look up, "This time, we'll capture her without fail."

Erwin and the other soldiers sat down at the table. "We'll carry out the operation the day after next as we pass though Stohess District on our way to our appearance in the capital. It'll be our first and only opportunity. If we fail, Eren and Alex will be handed over to the authorities, making it difficult to pursue the ones who are plotting to destroy the wall. It could even increase the likelihood of humankind's annihilation. We will stake everything on this operation."

Erwin looked over at Alex and Eren -- who sat next to each other but had said nothing to each other at all -- waiting for an answer. They both gave him a small nod. "The operation will go like this. Eren and Alex will act as the decoys as we're passing through Stohess District to lead the target to this underground passageway. Once drawing inside, the limited space and strong walls will allow us to contain the target even if she transforms into a Titan. But in the unlikely chance she turns into a Titan before that, we'll have to rely on you, Eren," Erwin explained.

"Yes, sir. Are we certain our target is in Stohess District?" Eren asked.

"Yes. Our target is a member of the Military Police," Erwin said.

"The Military Police?" Eren questioned with a confused look.

"Armin is the one who figured it out. We believe the Female Titan is the one who killed the three captured Titans. Possibly a member of your 104th Cadet Class," Erwin said, narrowing his blue eyes. Alex's eyes widened slightly once the words left his mouth. The only person who had joined the Military Police was Annie. And thinking back on it, the Female Titan had resembled Annie physically and mentally. It had the same short, straight blonde hair and big blue eyes. And the way she fought -- Alex had sparred with her, and she had been surprised at the tricks the female had up her sleeves. 

"Annie.." Alex mumbled, but Eren had heard it. Eren's eyes widened, "W-Wait! Hold on! Annie Leonhart? Alex you're going crazy Annie would never-" 

Alex turned her cold gaze and locked eyes with Eren's surprised one. His gaze softened and he looked down, "Annie is the Female Titan? Why.. Why do you guys think that?"

"The Female Titan recognized your faces from the beginning. And, she responded to that reference as the one who'll 'die too soon' only something our fellow cadets would understand. And even more convincing is that Annie is suspected in killing the three test subjects Sawney, Bean, and Edgar," Armin explained. 

"How do you know that?" Eren asked.

"Killing the three Titans required high-level technique, so she would have used her own 3D Device which she was familiar with," Armin said. Eren looked away, "Right. That's why did an inspection of the equipment. But Annie didn't get caught."

"Annie submitted Marco's for inspection. That's how she avoided scrutiny," Armin explained. 

"Huh? What're you talking about? How is Marco involved in this?" Eren questioned.

"I don't know," Armin trailed off looking down at the table. 

"You must've been mistaken," Eren said, obviously not wanting to believe it.

"No, that was definitely-"

"Hey kid, we get that part. Don't you have any other reasons?" Levi asked interrupting him.

"I don't."

"Annie looks like the female," Alex stated bluntly. Eren stood up from his seat and stared down at her, "Huh?! What're you talking about?! That's not enough to-" Eren was cut off by Alex standing up and grabbing him by the shirt, and lifting his taller body off the ground. 

"You fought her, didn't you? I know it, cause I saw it. I was there, if you don't remember," Alex started. Eren gulped and looked away, remembering how he had hit her during the fight with him and the other Titan. "You saw the way she fought. You can't tell me that you didn't notice how similar the moves were. You've fought Annie before, don't tell me they're not the same. They fight the same, they look the same. You realize it, right? You know that Annie is the Female Titan. Then you know that you have to fight her, right? Or do you have a small crush on her, and won't be able to do it?" 

Eren stared at her, his mind flashing back to the Female Titan's technique's. He blinked and let out a sigh.

"I'll do it."

Comment what you think?
And Levi x Alex moments will be coming up soon just a few more chapters okay? >w<