Chapter Six: Top Ten & Reunions

Alex sat at a table alone in the mess hall. The people around her were talking and laughing; having fun. She scowled at them. Most of them were only here because that's what society expects of them. There were very few people here that actually had a reason. 

Alex turned her head listening to Jean's 'advise' which was basically him bragging about how only few people can do certain things with the maneuver gear. 

"The interior is pleasant?" A voice said catching some people's attention. Alex looked over and saw the hotheaded Eren Jaeger arguing with Jean, again. 

"This place was part of the interior until five years ago," Eren said taking another drink.

"What're you trying to say Eren?" Jean raised his voice as he turned to look at Eren.

"It must be pleasant inside your head, no matter where you are, Jean." Eren said causing a few people to laugh a little. Alex snorted at his remark. 

"You bastard.." Jean muttered.

"Don't you think it's strange? We learn our Titan-killing skills to get far away from the Titans," Eren questioned. He did have a point to Alex. 

"Why bring that up now? For my sake, I want to preserve this set up!" Jean said. It obviously made Eren made because he stood up angrily from his seat shouting, "You piece of trash!" 

"Shut up this is reality!" Jean shouted back. Alex's eyes filled with amusement as she watched the two male figures. "Stop it, Eren!" Armin exclaimed standing up. Mikasa stood up too, "Stop that." 

Suddenly Jean grabbed Eren's shirt yelling nonsense, and as expected Eren yelled back. The two boy yelled foolish things at each other when suddenly Eren grabbed Jean's arm and put his other arm in front of his neck and knocked him off of his feet. Jean made a noise and fell on the ground. People in the mess hall gasped when they saw Jean on the ground. 

"What the hell was that?!" Jean questioned.

"It's the martial arts I took time to learn while you were wasting time. Taking it easy and going with the flow is reality? How can you call yourself.. a soldier?" Eren asked looking at Jean. The two stared at each other not saying a word. For some reason, it felt unsettling. The silence caused Alex to shift awkwardly in her seat. 

The door suddenly creaked open. "I heard a loud noise just now. Someone wanna explain what's going on?" Shadis asked through the cracked door. Jean and Eren both sat down not bothering to glance at each other.

Alex smirked and raised her hand, "Sasha just farted, sir!"

Sasha's eyes widened with surprise. "What?!" She asked staring at Alex. Everyone was trying to hold their laughs in, but they could still be heard.

Shadis put a hand over his nose, "You again? Learn a little modesty!" He then walked out and shut the door. Everyone's laughs filled the air and Sasha rushed over to Alex.

"Why did you say that?!" She asked grabbing her hand. Alex just stared at her with bored eyes.

She continued questioning her until Alex shoved a piece of bread in her mouth. 

"Hands over your heart!"

"Yes, sir!" Everyone said following his order.

"From today, you will no longer be soldiers-in-training. You have three choices. The Garrison Regiment, where you will be protecting the cities, working to reinforce the walls. The Scout Regiment, where you must be prepared to take on the Titans outside the walls. And the Military Police, where you will protect the people and preserve order at the side of the king. Naturally, the only ones who can join the Military Police are the top ten scorers who were announced earlier!"

It wasn't exactly ten; it was eleven. Sasha and Krista both got the same score, so they just made both of them number ten. There was a lot of arguing about it but eventually the decided it wouldn't be fair if only one of them got it when they had the same scored. 

Alex stood proudly next to Mikasa; their scores were only a number off. But Alex had scored higher, and took place at number one. 

"I did it! I'm now in the Military Police!"

"Now we won't have to worry about food!"

Alex rolled her eyes at the remarks. 

"Why am I below Eren? Damn it." Jean said talking a drink. 

"I don't know, why is that?" Alex asked taking a seat next to the brunette. Jean jumped out of surprise. "I'm still surprised you got first," Jean snickered but stopped immediately when he saw Alex's glare. "On other thought, I take that back." Alex nodded in agreement then got up and walked over to the crowd surrounding Eren.

"You're not joining the Military Police? Are you serious Eren?!" Thomas exclaimed. Alex raised an eyebrow. "You managed to get to the top ten!" A brunette Alex didn't know said.

"It's what I came here for. I didn't train to live in the interior. I wanted to fight Titans," Eren explained. Thomas just stared at him in disbelief,

"You can't beat them!" It suddenly got quiet and everyone turned their attention to the blonde boy.

"You should know. They've eaten tens of thousands of people. When we lost twenty percent of the population the answer was clear. Humankind.. can't defeat the Titans," Thomas continued.

"So?" Eren asked. "Do we just give up because we think we can't win?"

Thomas was surprised, "Well.."

"You're right. We've been on the losing side. But that's because we didn't know how to deal with Titans. Standard warfare is meaningless against the Titans. We may have lost, but everything we've learned in battle will be our key to bringing back hope. Are we going to abandon everything we learned, after so much sacrifice, and just become Titan food? I'm gonna drive out every last one of those Titans, and leave these cramped walls! That's my dream! Humankind hasn't lost yet!" Eren said wrapping his hand in a fist. When he noticed everyone staring at him he ran out of the mess hall. 

Alex thought of what he had said. He was right after all. But it didn't change Alex's plans; she was still joining what her sister would've wanted. What her father was so good at and enjoyed. 

Alex Ryal Bellerose was going to join the Scout Regiment.