Chapter Twenty-Two: New Recruits & Leaving The Wall

Alex stood there leaned up against the wooden door frame. At the moment, she was in a secluded room with Erwin, Levi, and some other higher ups who answered Erwin's question the day before. While all the other soldiers were getting their gear checked out, Erwin had called in the certain amount of people who answered correctly. Of course, all their gear was checked out that morning.

"I'm surprised," a voice said standing next to Alex while Erwin explained the upcoming plan to Hanji and some other soldiers. 

"Of what?" Alex asked turning her head to look at Humanity's Strongest Soldier. "That you answered correctly," Levi explained staring into her matching bored eyes. Alex gave a small shrug and looked forward. "I thought the answer would be obvious to everyone. But I guess not all people think exactly like a smart soldier," Alex sighed moving her head to where her bangs fell down over her eyes. Levi studied the girl; he didn't understand her. Well, he did to a certain point. Just two days ago she was a weak soldier who broke down, he knows it because he saw it. 

After she ran off, he followed her. It was his job after all -- to watch her and the Titan-boy. He got a front row seat of her emotional breakdown in the wooded area, far from headquarters. There was one thought that crossed his mind every so often when he would look at the bored girl; that she was somewhat like him. Although, he'd never admit it even if his life was on the brink of death; he and she were the same in many ways. 

And that's what bugged him about it. She thought like him for many things; strategy, fighting, and thinking outside of the box in certain situations. She fought a lot like him, and she even mastered many of his unique moves with the 3DMG before she even saw him in battle. She always had the same bored, emotionless look painted on her pale face. Even though she cracked two nights ago, she didn't let it get in the way of being a good soldier.

great soldier.

She had the same sassy and rude attitude towards everyone. She didn't like taking no for an answer. She preferred to be alone; to work by herself because she felt that anyone else would weigh her down. She puts her comrades'life before hers when they are in danger.

She was like him in many ways.

And it annoyed him.

"You've been staring at me for awhile now, it's creepy." Alex said, breaking Levi out of his thoughts. Levi glared at the blue eyed girl and turned his head away from hers. 

There was finally someone like him; and he didn't know how to feel about it.

*     *      *

"Hey, Alex. How's your hand?" Eren asked from her left. Alex looked down at her wrapped hand that was gripped around ropes that steer the horse. 

"Fine," Alex answered bluntly and looked forward. After the meeting with Erwin and the check out with the gear -- which none of the cadets had used the night of the test subject's deaths -- Alex had been helping Eren feed the horses when Levi suddenly showed up on his dark horse and said they needed to be somewhere. And now there they are; riding horses to the inner wall.

Eren glanced at the girl concerned but then gave up and looked forward at the dirt path. She confused him; and he didn't like it. To him, she was a more boarded up Mikasa. Eren shook his head and decided to try a different conversation. 

"So, how many people do you think will join the Scouts?" Eren asked looking over at Alex. 

"Not sure. I know for sure your two friends will join because they follow you everywhere, but other than that I'm pretty sure no one else will," Alex said plainly. After the last attack, she wasn't sure if any other people would join except Mikasa and Armin. Most of them were probably scared out of their minds after seeing an actual Titan. 

Eren nodded and looked away from the black haired girl, obviously knowing that striking a conversation with her was just a waste of time.

*     *     *

Alex stood next to Petra off to the side of the stage. Levi had told her to go a different path and go as fast as she could so she could make it on time since she knew about what they were planning.

It was nighttime now, and the only source of light was coming from the scattered torches. They were at the ceremony; where the cadets will choose which division they want to join. 

"I am Erwin Smith, commander of the Scout Regiment. Today is the day you must choose a corps to join," Erwin started, standing at the front of the stage facing the cadets, "I'm here today to invite you to join the Scout Regiment. During this latest Titan attack, you discovered the terror of Titans, and the limitations of your own abilities."

"However, in this battle, more than ever before, we made progress towards victory. Thanks to the existences of Eren Jaeger and Alex Bellerose. Their all-out efforts proves beyond any doubt that they are on our side. Furthermore, with their help, we not only stopped the Titan invasion, we gained a means to understand the true nature of Titans and what other kind of things are out there!" Erwin explained. The crowd gasped and some of the soldiers whispered to one another.

"Located in the basement of his home in Shiganshina District, we believe there is a secret to the Titans that even he is unaware of. We also believe that there will be an explanation to Alex's powers, considering both dads' of the two were close friends. If we can reach that basement, we may gain a clue to break free from a century of Titan domination!" Erwin continued to explain. More whispers came from the crowd. Most of them were shocked at the new information.

"We will set out for the basement located in Shganshina District. But in order to do so, it is imperative that we retake Wall Maria. That is to say, our objective remains unchanged. But now that we are unable to use the gate in Trost District, we must take a roundabout route from Karanes District to the east. The route we spent four years building for our army has become completely useless. During those four years, more than sixty percent of the Scout Regiment died. Sixty percent in four years. An insane casualty rate. This group of new recruits will join us on our expedition outside of the wall one month from now. The chances are thirty percent of you will die," Erwin explained as gasps and whispers came from the crowd of soldiers, "four years from now, the majority of you will be dead. But those who overcome that will become superior soldiers with a high survival rate. You now know dismal state of affairs."

Erwin went on explaining, but Alex zoned out. She already knew all of this; she actually knew more to it. The faces of the cadets amused her, how shocked they were when he explained. How most of them tried to hide the fact that they were scared, but did a poor job at it. Alex could already tell basically all of them would be joining the Garrison. Because they were to scared to use all the training they learned over the past three years on an actual Titan. They'd rather stay safe inside the wall, where things are only going to get worse if they don't find out any more information about the Titans and how to stop them, or how they were made in the first place.

"Pathetic," Alex thought scanning the rows of fearful faces. Erwin then stopped explaining the plan, and dismissed the cadets.

"Commander, don't you think you scared them more than necessary? There might now be a singer person who'll remain," a soldier from behind Alex said stepping in front of her. Many of the cadets looked at each other and walked away; going to join the Garrison or Military Police. The majority of the people walked away, but there were a good handful of them who stayed. Alex recognized most of them; she was actually surprised that they stayed. Especially Jean -- he was always the one who'd brag about joining the Military Police.

Erwin scanned the small group of people, "You people.. If someone tells you to die, would you do it?"

"We don't want to die!" A soldier shouted back.

Erwin smiled, "I see.. I like the look on your faces. Then effective immediately! I welcome all of you here as new members of the Scout Regiment! This is a real salute! Give your heart!" 

Erwin, and all the soldiers who stayed gave their best salutes.

"You did well to control your fears. You are all brace soldiers. You have my heartfelt respect."

*     *     *

The couple of days, the soldiers spent most of their time learning about the positions for the upcoming expedition. They didn't get to know where Alex and Eren would be, but they got to know everything else. Well, mostly. Squad Levi was the only few people who knew the where the two abnormal teenagers would be, they all had to explain it to Eren in private though. 

Right now, Alex and Eren were cleaning the stable. Auruo was ordered to watch them while they did so. Eren looked out the stable doors and saw the new recruits, then asked Auruo something. Auruo muttered something to him, then Eren left Alex alone to feed the horses. Alex held up her last piece of hay to her own horse. She had decided to name it Jem shortly after they arrived at the abandoned headquarters.

Alex finished feeding Jem, she decided to walk out and see what Eren was so excited about. She walked past Auruo without saying anything to see Eren talking to the familiar faces of his friends. Alex knew all of them; she had small side conversations with them often. But they were always short and boring. Bertholdt was the first one to notice her. 

Bertholdt was one the few people Alex could tolerate; he was quiet and never bugged her. Like Sasha, she'd always be asking Alex for her food. Christa would always try to be nice to Alex and try to get her to wear a dress or do something girly. Ymir was okay, but she would get pissed whenever Alex said something rude to Christa. Jean was just an arrogant asshole to her; and she hated how he thought of himself so much. Reiner always tried flirting with her, but stopped after Alex kicked him in his manhood one day. Armin was tolerated, he didn't say much but he tried to be Alex's friend many times but failed. And Mikasa was decent except when it came to Eren. 

"Hey, Alex." Bertholdt said walking over to the short girl. He towered over her by almost a foot -- maybe it was a foot. 

"So, Annie and Marco are the only ones who joined the Military Police, eh?" Alex asked him as Jean walked up to Eren and started talking. Bertholdt frowned and scratched the back of his neck. "Actually.. uhm.. M-Marco died.." Bertholdt mumbled, but it was loud enough for Alex to hear. Alex wouldn't admit it; but she was slightly sad when she heard that. Marco was too nice for his own good; he reminded her of Elisa. 

But everyone has to die eventually.

Alex nodded and then looked up at the tall man and patted his back hard, "There will be a time for all of us." With that, she walked away from the group of teenagers. Once she got out of hearing range from them, and everyone else for that matter, she leaned her back against the wall and slid down to the ground. She was tired; she couldn't sleep most nights anymore. The nightmares she stopped having after she joined the Cadets came back. Almost every night, she would relive That Day. 

That horrible, gruesome, sad day. 

She closed her blue eyes and smiled at the peacefulness. It was quiet; the only thing heard was the wind blowing in her ears and the singing of birds. Alex felt herself drifting slowly into a peaceful sleep. It was nice. 

There weren't any nightmares this time. 

*     *     *

Alex woke up in her small bed blinking rapidly. She didn't fall asleep here; so how did she get here? She didn't remember waking up and walking back to her room. She was beyond confused. 

"Maybe I slept walked.." she mumbled to herself then sat up.

"No, you fell asleep outside like an idiot and I had to pick up your lazy ass and bring you back here," a voice explained annoyed. Alex rolled her eyes and looked over at Levi. He was sitting in the dark gray chair with his legs crossed. Alex glared at him. 

"Get out," she ordered. The raven haired man shrugged and stood up. He walked over to the door and opened it. 

"Be ready in five, we're leaving for the expedition soon."

*     *     *

The bells went off in the district. Alex sat there on her horse, Jem, next to Eren. Levi was in front of her, and the other members of her squad surrounded Eren and her. 

"The time has come! From this moment, humankind takes another step forward. Show us the fruits of your training!"

All the soldiers cheered and raised their fists' in the air.

"Being opening the gate!"

The gate slowly lifted itself from the ground, pieces of dirt fell from the spikes in the bottom of it.

"Move out!"

All the horses started running out of the safe wall.

"The fifty-seventh expedition outside the wall begins now! Forward!"

Well that was a lot of time skips ._.
Oh well.
Deal with it >.>

Comment what you think?