Chapter Twenty-Five: Expedition (Part Three)

Even though the elite soldiers had their hands covering their ears, the loud ringing noise cause their heads to to hurt. "An acoustic shell?!" Eren asked slightly surprised. Levi turned around at the Titan-boy, "Tell me, what is your job again? Is it to surrender to your emotions of the moment? No, it's not. This squad's mission is to do everything possible to keep these brats unharmed. Down to our last breath."

Eren's eyes widened slightly as he stared into space. Alex kept her usual straight face; emotionless eyes and her lips in a thin straight line. "We're going to keep pushing ahead on horseback. Got it?" Levi stated.

"Understood, Sir!" Petra said with a nod, her honey colored hair flying back as she pushed against the wind.

"Push ahead?! But for how long?! Not to mention, it's almost on top of us now. More.. More reinforcements! They'll get killed too if we don't hurry up and help them!" Eren said looking back at the female Titan.

"Stop whining and face forward. Trust me, if she gets to close to us, I have my ring," Alex said lifting up her hand with her family ring on it and wiggling her fingers, "so calm down."

Eren frowned. "Calm down?! How am I supposed to calm down, when our comrades are sacrificing their lives for us?!" Eren shouted at the black haired girl, his anger getting the best of him. 

"They signed up to die the minute they joined the Scout Regiment. They were going to die eventually anyways," Alex said bluntly. She was speaking the truth; hoping Eren would calm down, but her statement only made him angrier. 

"Are you serious?! Are you heartless?! Do you even care about anyone except yourself?! You're so selfish!" Eren shouted at her. Alex's eyes met his in a flash and darkened. Their usual bright blue turned a darker shade. "Selfish? Do you remember that time I pushed you away from that Titan in Trost and ended up getting eaten by it? Or that time I helped and encouraged you when you were carrying the boulder to the hole? Or maybe about the time I gave you advise about the 3D Maneuver Gear so you wouldn't fail and have to back to the fields?!" Alex said, her darkened blue eyes piercing into Eren's green sea ones. Eren frowned -- all of that was true. But still, his anger got the best of him.

"Maybe you did! So what? Because right now you're a heartless bastard, not caring about the lives of our comrade right now!" Eren shouted gritting his teeth. The rest of the group stayed quiet as they listened to the two arguing. Levi was amused by it, but his face only showed coldness. 

"There will be a time where all of us are dead. If it's today, or tomorrow, eventually all of us will be dead. Those soldiers know that they are facing death, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to kill it. So shut up and be quiet," Alex said, her voice becoming low and more scarier. Eren turned away from her and glared at the moving ground. 

"Don't fall out of step! Maintain top speed!" Eld ordered, breaking the awkward and uneasy silence. 

"Why?!" Eren asked looking back at the blonde. "Who can possibly stop it, if not the Levi Squad?!" Eren continued. A soldier yelled out from behind them, and Alex turned her attention to him, only to see the Female Titan smash him into a tree like a bug. His blood splattered and stained the bark; his body unrecognizable as his insides slid down the base of the tree. Eren gasped at the bloody sigh, "Another one's dead! We could've saved him too! One person's still fighting! There's still time to save him!"

"Eren! Focus ahead and keep moving!" Petra shouted at him.

"Are you telling me to ignore the fighting behind us?! Just to run away and abandon my comrades?!" Eren shouted back at her.

"Yes! I am! Do as the captain says!" Petra answered.

"I don't understand why we're letting them die! And I don't understand why he won't explain! Why?!" Eren asked.