Chapter Nine: Questions

"Where am I?" Alex thought looking at her surroundings, "what happened?"

It was dark, but not dark enough to where she couldn't see. "I don't want to die, I don't want to die!" A man screamed, but it was muffled by the boiling liquid. Alex gasped once she realized what was going on.

She was inside a Titan's stomach.

The man who was screaming seconds ago had gone under the hot liquid, and Alex didn't doubt he was dead. All around her, soldiers lifeless bodies were scattered around. Something floated up from the red liquid and made a 'pop' noise. 

"Huh?" Alex asked herself looking at what made the noise. She gasped and put a hand over her mouth, both from trying not to throw up and out of shock.

It was part of Eren's leg. 

She knew it was his, she would recognize those socks anywhere. Dull blue with two dull green stripes at the top of them. He was the only one who didn't wear the normal white socks. 

"I failed to protect him. I failed Mikasa. I failed myself," She thought as tears streamed down her face. This was the first time she had cried since that day. 

"I-I'm going to die!" She said, but no one could hear her. 

She was alone.

"No.. I'm not going to fail.. It's unacceptable," She said walking over to a corpse of a soldier. Alex didn't know the person, which made it a lot easier. She threw out her dull blades and replaced them with the scarp ones the dead soldier had. 

"I will not die," She said walking over to the skin of the Titan. The liquid around her was burning through her clothes, and it was hot against her skin. She could already feel the blisters forming on her pale skin.

"It's not my time just yet," She continued stabbing two of her blades into the Titan's skin. 

"I will not fail!" 

She pressed hard against the Titan's skin with the blades, cutting through the skin.

"Just a little bit more."

She pressed harder and dragged them to the right, cutting a line in the thick material.

"Almost there.."

She dragged them down with all her force, creating a flap in the Titan's stomach. Moving quickly before the Titan could regenerate, she lifted herself up. She could already see the skin growing back. Grunting, she pulled her whole body up and jumped out of the Titan's stomach right before the flap she made healed completely. Quickly, she shot a hook into a nearby house and used her gas to get on top of the roof.

She breathed heavily in and out grasping what just happened. She couldn't believe it -- she had gotten eaten by a Titan and cut herself out of it's stomach. To her, it was to good to be true. The Titan she was escaped out of turned towards her. 

"You bastard!" Alex yelled charging towards it, she shot a hook in it's back and flew towards it with her gas. Before the Titan could move, she had cut a clean slice out of the back of it's neck. The Titan collapsed on the ground, it's body quickly turning into nothing. Alex moved fast and jumped off the dead Titan onto a roof. 

Slowly, she lifted her head up to see a group of her classmates staring at her with wide eyes and open mouths. Her eyes widened even more when she saw Eren unconscious in Mikasa's embrace. Without saying anything, Alex used her gear to get over there. Once she got closer she saw that his leg was perfectly fine.

"B-But his leg! I saw it inside the Titan's stomach! I saw it get bit off! What the hell?!" Alex questioned looking at the unconscious boy. Jean walked up to her and placed a hand on her right shoulder, "Alex.. what happened?"

Alex turned around with wide eyes and looked at Jean. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"I saw you get eaten, a-and you should've been dead when you entered it's stomach! Titan's stomachs are full of boiling liquid, you would die in seconds! It's been over an hour since you got eaten!" Armin exclaimed standing up.

"I don't know okay? Why don't you explain to me what happened to Eren? Why is his leg perfectly fine?" Alex said gritting her teeth.

Armin gulped and looked at the ground. Alex followed his gaze, there were many dead Titans disappearing and steam rose up into the sky. "Eren.. he did all this. As a Titan," Armin said looked at Alex's reaction.

Alex scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I mean.. Somehow he was able to be a Titan. Control it. The Titan collapsed, and Eren emerged from the weak spot. I still don't understand it myself, but that's what happened," Armin explained staring at Eren.

He turned his face back to Alex. "But that still doesn't explain how you're still alive!" He said.

"I cut myself out of it, that's all." Alex said bluntly. It was true, that's all that happened.

"But how? How come all the people who got devoured alive never did that?" Jean asked stepping in.

Alex put a hand on her forehead, "Look guys, I'd love to stand here and explain, but frankly I don't know myself and I have a really bad headache so could be please jus-" Her body fell to the ground, and she lost consciousness.