5: I'm Sorry I'm Not What You Wanted

My breath fanned out in front of me into the silent night as I stood on the porch of my house with my feet settled in front of a large puddle. Ruby was supposed to show up any second now to help me get ready for the party, but she had called me saying that her mom needed something so she was going to be late.

        Behind me, the tall house stood in the darkness with only one light on; the living room light. Due to my own mother working late into the night, she had decided to stay the night at a co-worker's house since she worked in the bay area. I often found myself eating dinner alone and sitting in an empty house because she just couldn't make it home safely. It was for the best. Over the years I had grown used to the silence and I enjoyed my mother's company whenever I had it.

        The squeak of tires caused me to shift my focus onto the vehicle that was now parked in front of my house. Climbing out of her car, Ruby walked towards me while holding her clutch.

        "What do you think?" She asked before spinning in a circle. The silver dress that she was wearing clung to her figure in all the right spots, across her shoulders was a black cardigan that was cropped at the stomach, and her shoes were black pumps. She always new how to show up to a party in style.

        "You look dazzling." Smiling up at her, I stood up and led her into the house. We climbed the stairs up towards where my room was.

        Making herself right at home, Ruby flopped down on to my bed and kicked off her heels. "So, any outfits picked out?" I nodded at her lightly and grabbed the clothes that were hung up in the closet.

        Instead of a flashy outfit like she had on, I chose a rather conservative approach. A light grey sweater made of soft material, dark faded blue skinny jeans, a white scarf, and to top it off dark brown calf-hugging boots that supported two buckles on the side. My make up was already done and I had chosen a warm, naked look. I had also decided to just wrap my hair into a loose, messy bun with a black bow on the back.

        "I like it." She said turning her head away as I began to change into the outfit. The party had already started, but we weren't ones to show up on time. Once I was finished, we made our way outside to her car after I tossed my bag over my shoulder.

        Instead of taking mine, we had decided to just carpool to the party and Ruby would just drop me off once we were ready to go back home.

        Neither of us had mentioned the earlier events in the day, but I kept thinking about the sensation that I felt when his arms were secured tightly around me. Despite the cold weather that had been around us, the warmth that spread throughout me from his touch was simply enthralling.

        The loud thumping of music began to invade the soothing silence of the car, and the house soon came into view. It was a large two story home, that had different colored lights filtering out of the windows. There was a porch that wrapped around it and from where we were I could see people making out on the couches that were placed strategically along the porch.

        We finally found a parking spot located towards the end of the block. Clambering out of her car, I looped my arm through Ruby's and began making my way towards the glowing house. I grimaced at a guy that was sprawled on the front lawn passed out with a beer in his hand.

        Despite the darkness that surrounded the house, bright lights illuminated the interior and I had to pause to adjust to the sudden light change. The front room was large with a dance floor that contained people pressed up against each other grinding to their hearts' contempt. There were kegs and coolers everywhere along with drunks.