12: Hypnotic

Once the movie was nearing its climax and we were completely absorbed by it, a series of frustrated bangs sounded from the front door. Ruby turned looking at me with furrowed eyebrows.

        "Who's that?" She asked.

        "Why are you asking me? It's your house!" Laughing, I chucked a pillow at her. Muttering a string of curse words, she pressed the pause button on the remote and then stomped out of the room.

        From where I sat I could hear her light footsteps tread slowly towards the door and then the door being opened could be heard in the silence. Ruby began sputtering words in confusion as a wild, angry voice cut her off abruptly.

        "Where is she?!" Shane's frustrated voice reached my ears and I heard Ruby exclaiming for him to leave her apartment. The rush of feet sent me rolling over the edge of the bed in fear and I climbed underneath it.

        Hey if the guy was here to get me then there was no way that I was going without a fight.

        My heart beat sped up once I saw his shoes stop in the door frame leading to Ruby's room. "I know you're in there, Terra," his deep voice rang throughout the silence and my heart involuntarily jerked at the sound of it. Normally his voice sounded calm and collected, but now it sounded as though he had been stressed out and worried as hell.

        "Found you," I screamed and tried rolling away from where Shane had bent down suddenly beside the bed. A hand clamped around my ankle and swiftly pulled me out from under the bed.

        As I got to my feet, I dusted off specs of dust that had gathered on my shorts from being under there, "that was freaking terrifying! What are you doing here?!" I exclaimed, shoving my hands against his chest in anger. His hands grasped mine and before I could react, Shane pulled me into a tight hug, burying his face in my neck.

        The place where he had bitten me began to tingle from how close he was to me. "S-Shane?" I asked shakily. My voice sounded weak and pathetic causing me to internally groan.

        "Are you okay? I could sense that you were hurt. So I rushed down here," his arms around me tightened as he spoke. The comforting feeling that slowly spread through me was relieving and I found my arms wrapping around him in return.

        "I'm fine. Just a little," my voice trailed off as he pulled away from and gazed at me, "family problems. That's it. Nothing too serious." I offered him a small smile but he looked at me intensely.

        "Bullshit, Terra." Stepping away from me, he turned around to address Ruby who had been standing in the door way awkwardly watching our exchange. "Where's her bag?" She mutely pointed towards the front room where my bag and shoes sat. Without another word, he moved past Ruby into the front room.

        Ruby rushed over to me with a surprised expression, "you never told me that he was hot, Terra." A pang of possessiveness shot through me, but I shook it off. "Are you going with him?"

        "Obviously not! I think you forgot the complete fact that he's a stalker, Rubes!" I cried, throwing a hand onto my face in frustration. She had let the stalker in and everyone knows that that's a complete no-no!

        Ruby's face held conflicted emotions before she finally spoke up. "Maybe he's not a stalker, Terra. He could actually be someone to you. You should have seen his face when I opened the door. He was so worried and upset. It was heartbreaking." I snorted in response.

        "Every stalker is going to be upset when their stalkee leaves their sight." Crossing my arms across my chest, I glared at her.

        "Hey, you should at least give him a shot. Plus, he still has Taffy." Horror began to fill my body as my eyes widened in realization.