7: One Chance

The tapping of my pencil sounded through out the quiet cafe earning me some glares from people that were trying to enjoy their warm beverages. The door chimed as a customer rushed inside to escape the pouring rain and thunder. Even though we normally had a lot of customers on days like this, it seemed as though everyone had decided to either stay at home or at work.

        "Hello, how may I help?" Giving the customer that stood in front of me an award winning smile I nodded for them to take their order. While they began to look at the menu I felt myself observing them.

        The guy was around 5'8", but he held himself with dignity. The strong definition of his arms and abs managed to poke out from the tight muscle t-shirt that he was wearing despite the cold weather. His hair was short and black, plus he supported a deep tan which only made his smile stand out more. Hazel eyes darted across the menu before they settled onto me.

        "Can I get a regular coffee with three shots of espresso?" Even his voice was strong like his demeanor. Nodding, I quickly jotted his order down onto the note pad and told him his money due. As he dragged his wallet from his back pocket I found myself looking at the muscles in his arms in awe.

        Once I gave him his change, I set off to make his drink. I was done within a minute and I quickly handed it to him telling him to have a good day. Instead of walking away like I was expecting, he hovered nervously in front of the register.

        "Do... Do you need something else?" I inquired as I watched him fidget in front of me.

        "You should really give him a chance." Once he glanced at my confused expression, he quickly explained, "Shane. He really likes you. I know he's probably creeping you out, but there's a reason why he's doing it. Most guys his age don't find their ma... Anyways, you should just give him a shot." Nodding to me, he turned briskly on his heel and marched out into the horrid weather.

        I felt my eyes watching his retreating figure until I couldn't see him anymore. The customers that were in the cafe had been eavesdropping so when I turned my glare onto them they hastily returned to what they were doing before. Walking over to the coffee machine, I began to make a quick hot chocolate for myself since it was obvious that there wasn't going to be anymore customers.

        So his name's Shane. I thought with a smile as I poured the hot liquid into a ceramic cup. Leaning back against the counter, I focused my gaze on the sheet over rain that fell outside the cafe. 

        When I had finished covering his truck in mud, I had parked it into the empty garage even though it was a tight fit. The monstrosity had narrowly missed the top of the opening of the garage. My mother wasn't going to be happy if she came home to a garage that had a truck taking out the front of it. After I was finished parking it, I had decided to see what he had kept inside the vehicle.

        Much to my dismay, the interior still looked brand new despite the occasional mud spots thanks to my little joy ride. Not once when I was raiding his truck did I find the spare key. What I did find was a snickers, a black hoodie in the back seat, insurance and registration cards in the center console along with quite a bit of money, and in his glove box was, sadly, a condom.

        The chime from the clock broke me from my thoughts and I found that it was 4 PM, one hour until closing. During the winter we closed earlier because due to it getting darker earlier, we had previously had some female employees be assaulted during the night.

        "Closing in one hour." I called out causing some people to glance up from their beverages with annoyance. Shrugging, I made my way towards the empty half of the cafe with a dampened cloth in my hand.