Rising To The Top

•V•

"Tighten your core!" I scold as the Primas run through our routine for tomorrow.
"No no no no no," I mutter, running my hands through my hair as soon as the music stops.
"Guys, the competition is tomorrow, you have to use your face! Tell the story!" I tell them.
"Let's take it again, but Mindy, switch parts with Amy," I order, hitting the music once again. We make it to the pique turn combination when the doors of the studio burst open. I turn around to see Ms. Helsweel stalking in, Delanee close behind, a smug grin plastered across her face. Ms. Helsweel however, looks miffed.
"Ms. Mayzler would like to audition for a spot in the Primas," Ms. Helsweel announces.
"Ms. Dobson, our sophomore dance captain will be judging, along with me and Ms. Morita, our Junior dance captain and the Prima captain," Helsweel decides. I glance at C who rolls her eyes before glaring at the girl. Beckett comes over and wraps his arms around me from behind.
"Calm down, you and Mindy are both on the panel. There's no chance of her joining the team," Beckett murmurs. I sigh. He's right. I give him a quick peck on the cheek before going to join Mindy and Ms. Helsweel.
"Impress us," Helsweel orders before playing the music. I watch critically as Delanee begins the routine Ms. Helsweel taught us this morning. She wasn't horrible, but her technique didn't even come close to Mindy's, and she was the youngest dancer here.
"That will be all. We'll let you know by end of day," Ms. Helsweel decides.
"But there's a competition tomorrow," Delanee says. Helsweel raises an eyebrow at the girl who smartly decides to stop talking.
"End of day," Helsweel repeats. Delanee nods her head.
"That means you are dismissed, Ms. Mayzler," Ms. Helsweel says, waving her hand in a shooing motion. Delanee scowls before turning and exiting the studio.
"Her dancing does not meet the standards of the Primas. Are either of you in opposition?" Ms. Helsweel asks as soon as the door slams shut. Mindy and I both shake our heads no.
"Good. Ms. Mayzler will be informed of the decision. Back to work," she orders before sweeping out. I turn back to the team.
"Let's run through one more time and we'll call it a day," I decide, taking my spot on the floor.
"I am so glad Ms. Helsweel didn't like Delanee's audition," Mindy says as we pack up our bags.
"Right? But even if she had gotten onto the team, at least V could kick her out," C replies.
"What do you mean?" Beckett asks. C and I look at each other.
"My freshman year, Cassandra kicked me and Sasha out of the Primas. We definitely told you about it, but it didn't have anything to do with our dancing, it was our 'attitudes,'" I explain.
"Yeah, so if she had made the team, if V doesn't like her attitude, she's out," C adds.
"Yeah. I just, don't want to have to be like Cassandra. I don't want to be the evil dance dictator," I joke.
"Good. You can be your own kind of captain. Something better," Mindy says with a smile.
"Awe, thanks," I say with a smile, giving Mindy a side hug.
"Okay, as absolutely endearing as it is to watch you three bond, we still have classes to go to," Beckett reminds us.
"Ugh, Beckett, you're such a kill joy," C complains.
"C, let's play nice in the sandbox," I remind her. C rolls her eyes at me.
"Sandboxes are cest pools for germs and are for throwing sand at your enemies," She retorts. Beckett laughs.
"Okay blondie, I'm shaking in my shoes," he taunts.
"Beckett," I warn.
"Okay, fine, my apologies Caralissa," Beckett mocks.
"That's still not my name," C responds. I shake my head at the two of them as we walk out of the studio. These two are going to be the death of me.

Word Count: 669