Chapter 21

Wild Heart, by Beth Crowley, based on the Dark Artifices series. (Mark)

"You." His voice rang through the room. Emma's turned to him, her expression terrified. For him. While there was blade held to her neck. Her companion's eyes widened, as he spotted them. He turned his attention to Annabel. The Monster that had murdered his sister in cold blood. He felt the burning anger course through his veins. He stepped toward them.

"Jules?" The fear in her voice made him halt. Her amber gold eyes were wide, staring at him. In the corner of his eyes, he saw the boy's hand sword hand tense.

"Emma--" Before he could finish, a long set of events unfolded. Annabel threw Emma against one of the angel statues, and fled, taking advantage of their shock. The boy helped Emma up, who's lip was trickling blood, and they exchanged a look and took off after her. Emma saved him a glance as she ran. Her eyes said it all.

"Go." He clenched his jaw. "Go." Cristina and Mark didn't hesitate, speeding after them, on his heels.

***

Kit was still trying to figure out how they ended up in the library of the London Institute. They had reluctantly told Clary, Jace, Jem and Tessa what they knew, (AGAINST THEIR WILL.) and Clary had portaled him, Ty and Dru to London, leaving Tavvy with Magnus and Alec. He lounged on one of the moth eaten armchairs of the grand, dusty library. Dru was nestled in the other maroon colored couch, biting her nails nervously. Next to her, was Ty. He had his elbow on the arm of the Couch, with his chin propped up by his hand, his eyes indicating he was deep in thought. The library was filled with anxious silence. He felt terrible tempted to break it, before he went insane.

"So...." The siblings turned their gaze to him. "What are we going to do?"

Ty suddenly sat up. His gaze on something behind him. Dru's eyes widened.

"What are you staring at?" a haughty voice said from behind Kit. He turned, and his jaw dropped.

***

Emma didn't let Annabel out of her sight as she chased her through the winding halls of the Museum. Neot even when she collided into a giant statue of an elephant. That would leave some bruises. She continusly licked the iron tinged blood of her lips. Unfortunately, Julian didn't seem to let Emma out of his sight either. Her muscles ached, and her she could barely breath as she ran behind Jake. (was that even his NAME?) She suddenly realized where Annabel was going. The entrance loomed at the end of the hall. London was impossibly huge, they wouldn't have a chance.

"JAKE!" He gasped for breath.

"Just don't let her out of your sight!"

"EMMA!" Cristina's voice rang out. People were trickling inside now, and now most of them were looking at them suspiciously. Annabel had now made it outside the door. Jake cursed under his breath. Annabel was running still, deep into the crowds. She was like a machine. Jake grabbed her hand, and threw himself on a motorcycle parked on the street. He grabbed some kind of knife and shoved into the gear, turning it on. She climbed on behind him, hugging his back tightly.

"Isn't not wearing a helmet breaking the law?"

"Something tells me, you really love breaking the law."