Chapter 14

"How the hell are we going to keep them distracted?" Kit followed Ty down the stairs.

"We'll tell them that they found Emma and they were going to Idris for secret matters."

"Herondales aren't stupid Ty, You can't fool Jace. Or Tessa."

"Well, I don't' know!" Ty turned to him. "How does Julian handle it?"

"Well, He doesn't handle it. I can hear him in Emma's room having those Blackthorn meltdowns." Dru shushed him before Ty could argue.

"Dru, Ty, Kit." Clary smiled at them. Clary looked pretty sweet to Kit, but he'd learned enough what appearances hide. "Where's Julian and the rest? Did you find Emma?"

"Yes." They answered in unison. Even Tessa raised her eyebrows.

"She was up--on the roof. There going to Idris for some reason," Kit said.

"Why do I not believe that?" Jace snorted.

"Because you tried excuses too, as a really stupid, blonde teenager. Did I mention you were drunk half the time." Clary glared at Jace. She turned to them.

"Where. Are. They?"

***

"I thought you said flight?"

"I was kidding." He was using his stele, a beautiful golden one, to make a portal. Emma rolled her eyes. They were at the convergence, the caves had a eerie feeling to it, and Emma could hear the waves pounding against the cave walls.

"Where are we staying?" He sighed in frustration.

"At a hotel, like you wanted." Then he went back to making a portal. "Now, Shush." The portal suddenly transformed. He looked at her, a grin lighting up his face. "Let's go."

Emma almost collided into a trash dumpster.

"What--" He shushed her. We're next to the London institute, now shut up and follow me."

"Follow the yellow brick road," She huffed.

"There is no yellow brick road," He looked a her, confused. She sighed.

"Never mind, follow the leader it is."

"The leader of what?"

She just stayed silent and followed him through the streets. The air was cooler than she was used to, and sunshine didn't seem to exist here at all. London was colorless, from the cobblestones to the buildings. She realized it 5 in the morning from one of the large clocks, the streets were obviously empty. After a short walk they arrived in front of a looming red brick building. It had an old fashioned sense to it, like the rest of London. Giant flags flew in the wind, and a few doormen stood in front of the chic glass doors. One of the doormen spotted them, and walked up to them, smiling. He seemed also very tired.

"Welcome to the Claridge."

Emma almost gaped.

"You don't know the Wizard of Oz or children's games, but you know 5 star hotels?" She muttered under her breath.

***

The portal dropped them into an alleyway in London. And it also dropped them into a dumpster.

"Where did you make our reservations?" Julian said rubbing his eyes. The stars were still out, and the streets were empty. Mark yawned.

"Do all shadowhunters normally not sleep?"

"It's a short walk," she replied, almost whispering. They stumbled through the streets, only the street lights illuminating the way. Soon they approached the hotel. Half asleep, they stumbled past the doormen, and the sign that loomed above the doorway: Claridge.