Chapter 6

Emma smiled inwardly as Mark face contorted in surprise.

"Wait, seriously?"

"Yes, someone inconspicuously gave me a note which read 'London Institute. Trust no one."'

Julian was leaning on the table. He looked stricken, the last time he went to London, something devastating happened, and Emma was sure he did not want any of his other siblings to experience the same fate as Livia Blackthorn did.

Emma followed them back to the meeting hall trying to keep as much distance between Julian and herself.

Emma could see the hurt in Jules eyes as she walked slowly behind him. She decided to not let herself be immersed in her thoughts about Julian and instead turned her thoughts to Romeo, which didn't help much.

"So, what exactly do we do Emma, where did you even get this information?" Julian leaned back in his chair. Emma scrambled to find and answer.

"The person who gave me this information," She paused, trying to think of something believable. "Wants to remain anonymous, for their own safety." She could literally read Julian's thoughts. He didn't believe her, and she wouldn't herself, if she was in his place. But he fortunately,didn't argue. Clary had already left to call up the London Institute, with Jace on her heels, sort of like a puppy

No. Actually, he reminded Emma of the total opposite of a puppy.

Finally they made it up to the library room where they could talk about this without hearing from any of Julian's siblings. The large domed star gazing roof let in golden sunlight that coated everything a calm, golden glow. The wooden scent of the walls, calmed her nerves.

"Do we have a plan for this?" Mark asked grabbing something out of a stray bowl on the floor. He started chewing, what looked disturbingly like a dog biscuit.

"MARK! Are you eating a dog biscuit?" Emma looked horrified. Mark licked his lips.

"I don't understand how dogs have better tasting food than Jules makes." Jules sighed.

"Faeries." He glared at the dog biscuits. "Iron stomachs."

"I'm quite sure I would die if I ate iron."

"Back to the point, you guys!" Cristina yelled. Cristina looked like the only refined sane person in the room, with her warm cocoa colored hair pulled back in polish bun and dressed in a sweet flowered blouse and skirt. Emma and Julian looked like shadows in their black attire, and Mark looked like a medieval knight, as usual.

"The clave will hunt us down, as will the Unseelie court," Emma paused. "We have the Seelie queen's assistance, I think. You can never tell what that woman's up to."

Julian sighed heavily. "At the moment, almost everyone's wants us dead, Emma. And trying to get the Black Volume from Annabel is nearly impossible." His eyes hardened. "And I won't let her take another one of us, again."

"Well nothing good came out of getting help from the clave, did it?" Emma suddenly regretted it when Julian's face fell, blaming it on himself. "If we want this to end," She said softly. "We might as well do it ourselves."

"Clary and Jace?" Mark asked.

"They'll figure it out. After all, they've abandoned the clave more than we ever have." Emma tightened her fingers around Cortana's cool, smooth hilt, and strode out the door. "We're going to London. And the Clave can't stop me, with their stupid Shadowhunter laws."