21-The Days that Follow

Harriet's POV

Waking up was pure agony. I fluttered my eyes ooen and shifted my position. I had to bite my lip to hold back a scream. Searing pain shot through my back and all along my skin. Memories of the burn came flooding back so fast it literally burnt. I gently ran my fingers along my side and cringed where my charred raw flesh had blistered. I traveled my hand to my neck and up the side of my face to my ear. The skin near my ear was hot and smelled burnt. I touched a small peice of hair and recoiled in shock. My once long flowing hair was fried to just above my ears. The ends of it were split and charred. I could smell the smoke from where my hair had smoldered. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror at the door. Instead of seeing myself, I saw a hideous grotesque monster. The monster had red, pink, and pale patches of dark skin, it looked more like a quilt than a being. It had blisters over half of its face. Its short hair was burnt at odd lengths, revealing a pink rough scar on the side of its head. It's eyes scared me the most. Its eyes held so many emotions trapped. Within the dark brown fibers so much hatred burned inside, like a beast set on murder. It held the fear and numbness of someone who had gone through hell. It was scarred and marked. I tried to convince myself it wasn't me, even though it mirrored my movements. I wanted so badly for it to be some sort of beast I didn't recognize, but it was me. And I knew it.

Not only did I burn down our escape from the maze and in the process get a stab wound and burned a lot of my body and quite a bit of my hair, I also managed to lose track of a maniac that is out to kill, and get saved by the two people I set out to kill just days ago.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And now I realize I don't hate Rachel because what Rachel has done is in the past, that isn't her anymore. The Rachel that killed my parent's is now an innocent girl who is trying to do what is right in the glade.

Bloody fool.

The day's in the Glade's hospital (which like every thing in the glade, is smaller than it would be in the real world.) Went by quickly because of the med's the white coat's put me on, which had to be used sparingly since all our supplies had stopped. Sonya would visit me and tell me what has been happening since I have been in the hospital, like the search for Beth, which so far has been unsuccessful, and the search for the way out of the maze. (also unsuccessful.) She tells me about the Grievers, which still take one every night; while i was out of it they took a girl called Mary, who I vaguely remember, and another named Jesabel, who was the 3rd Glader to arrive after the first shipment. It shocks me that after almost 2 years, she went down. It seems like someone who has been here so long would be invincible. That thought makes me quiver.

Suddenly shouts from outside shake me to attention. The shouts are drowned out by the metallic clanking of Grievers. Then I hear screaming, mostly Aris.

"What the bloody hell is going on!?" I yell at a frantic white-coat.

"Its Rachel....." she pants.

"Shes running towards a Griever!"