5-Waking to a New Tomorrow

My eyes start blinking slowing, waking me thanks to help of the sunlight through the window. I turn to lay on my side and face the other way when I see Harriet sitting on a stool beside me and Izzy standing beside her. I look at the background behind them and suddenly remember where I am and what happened. It actually feels a little strange to remember something.

"And the chirp has awakened," says Harriet in an annoyed voice. She stands. "Well I suppose we don't have to worry about anything else now we have that Beth in the jail."

"Are you going to leave me?" I asked not because I wanted her company but because I wanted answers. "What the heck happened last night?" I ask before Harriet can answer my first question.

Harriet, who had looked as if she was about leave, sat back down on the chair. "It was nothing probably, people go a little crazy after going through the changing. According to those from the past who have gone through it, it brings them back memories. But they are mentally insane I have a hard time believing it."

"Even your best friend Cassie?" Izzy speaks up for the first time.

Harriet shoots her a angry glare. I know I wasn't suppose to hear that and I should just pretend I didn't but it makes me curious. "Who is this-"

"Shut up!" Harriet shouts turning her face towards me with the worst look I've seen from her yet. But then suddenly her face changes to a more, weak, gentle, almost sad expression. "We don't talk about it," She says calmly. She stands up again and starts walking away. "I'm telling Sonya the chirp is up. You answer her questions if she's got anymore which I'm sure she does."

I get the feeling this Harriet does not like me. And I'm beginning to think the feeling is mutual.

"Beth said I came here to kill you all," I say focusing on Izzy. I didn't even think about saying it, I just said it. I wanted to know why, no I needed to know why.

"Like Harriet just said, she probably is just crazy. I wouldn't worry about her if I were you," Izzy now sits herself down on the stool.

"She...it seemed like she almost remembered me," a tingle of fear crawled up my spine. But I was also filled with wonder. How could she remember what I can't. It's not possible is it?

"Well she is in jail now, she's never going to hurt you ever again."

For some reason Izzy's answer does not bring me comfort. I'm about to ask more questions when a blaring alarm sets off across the glade.