8-What's Out There

"You know him?" Sonya had pulled me over close by the maze to take a little walk. She was suppose to give me some kind of tour, but we both knew that she had no intention to do anything but figure out what the heck was going on.

This was the first time, besides being asked what my name was, that I was the one being asked the questions. It seemed like the world had just flipped itself over. "Sort of...I mean no...I just thought he looked familiar," I say my cheeks no doubt still blushing red.

"Ah yes and you just decide if someone looks familiar you should go up and crush them," Sonya says it like a joke but I know behind it she really is curious.

"I thought I saw him somewhere, in my memory I mean. He just kind of flashed and I felt like I almost missed him."

Sonya stops short and comes to stand right in front of me. She is so close I can feel her breathing and I can't say it felt comfortable at all. "You had a memory. That's impossible. No other glader who has come here has remembered anything but their name." She suddenly gasps and pulls back from me. I feel relief but wonder what has just gone through her head. "I have to tell Harriet, no we have to tell Harriet. She'll freak."

"From what, excitement or anger?"

"I doubt she would be mad at you for having something the rest of us don't have that could help us."

"But all I remember is that boy. Though, he seems like he remembers even more than I do and Harriet is already talking to him. I doubt she will think I am anything special." I sigh. "Besides, I get the feeling she doesn't like me."

Sonya and I continue our walk along the maze again. "Harriet is not always the easiest person to get along with. But once you get to know her she's really great, just...dealing with a lot right now."

I think of what Izzy said earlier. "Because of Cassie?"

Sonya swallows before she speaks, "I was there for her when it happened," she says, "and trust me it wasn't easy. There isn't really much secret to becoming her friend and her partner really. She justs wants respect and also kindness. Even when she's not being kind back."

I nod. I wonder what I have done that was disrespectful or not nice to make her not like me. I decide to change the subject and not just because I felt awkward talking about this behind her back. I was in a need of an answers. "Why do you think we are here?"

Sonya looks taken a back from the question like she is not ready for the sudden change in conversation. "What?"

"I mean why do you think we are here? Who put us here? Or what?" I glare into Sonya's eyes. Human eyes can show more than words can speak sometimes. And I need to know if there is something she knows that I don't, or something she is not telling me. I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or relieved that I do not see it in hers.

"We don't know really, though some of us have our theories. Aliens that have wiped our minds, God," Sonya laughs. "Though, if God did us put here I don't know how the heck this would be helpful to him."

I say nothing. I don't remember anything about God just that there is a belief that there could be one. "So what's out there?" I ask pointing out into the maze.

"Apparently an end, an escape. But it's not like the runners have ever found one. Sometimes I lose hope that we will ever get out of here. Just accept that this is our home."

But this can't be our home, I think, It just doesn't feel right.

I suddenly remember what Aris said before Sonya pulled me away while I was blushing away wondering what the heck I had just done. "Aris," I say, "he said he's going to help us solve the maze."

Sonya sighs, "Well, if he does, that would be a miracle."