11-Locked in the Dark

Okay I just wanna clarify words like "stick", "chirp", and "skip", etc. are Glader slang words. Some of them were actually in the book, some words we created cause we are like crazy awesome creative ninjas

It had all happened so fast. The box, the crushing sort of hug, the talk, the kiss, and now he's gone out of my arms after he has barely been in them in first place. I don't know what over came me. I don't even know him. Yet the way he held me and kissed me just felt so good.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. There are more important things to think about, figure out why we are here and who put us here. Harriet must have gotten some answers from Aris about how to escape or something about the maze since they dove into so quickly. My mind is a blur, exhausted from all the intense change and billion questions.

I decide to go get a water bottle and a snack from the kitchen, then wait a good ten or twelve feet outside the maze doors, waiting for them to get back, anxiety boiling in me more and more for answers. Marley sits with me for a little while, but eventually has to get back to her job. I remember that I am the only girl here without a job, and some of the gladers make groans when they walk near by me, jealous of my relaxation. I can't say I blame them though, I'd feel the same if the tables were turned.

I feel bad about not remembering like Aris does. He seemed so sure that we were desperately in love with eachother and I barely recongnized him. It could have been worse, I could've not recongnized him at all.

It's felt like hours of waiting when I see the sun start to set, my entire body still sore from Beth's attack last night and the sitting not reallt happening. Last night. I can't believe it's only been one day, it's felt like so much longer. I decide to pace back and forth along the walls of the maze, hopeful that Harriet and Aris would soon return. But when the sky slowly starts to turn dark, inside me I start to panic. My breath quickens and I don't what to do if they don't come out. What could be wrong? Why are they taking so long?

God, if you're there please help them. It's the only thing I can think to do, call out to some higher power. It feels natural, like it's some old instinct of mine. Not that I would remember.

I really hate not remembering things today, and the anger is starting to boil in my chest like I saw it do to Aris earlier. I wonder if he is thinking of me in there, if he stills believes that he loves me or that he's decided to let me go since I couldn't feel the same way. Is he not coming back because I hurt him? Stop that Rachel, stop it. You're worried so you are only thinking the worst.

Suddenly I hear panting behind me and swerve my body around. I see Izzy running out of the maze, exhausted and sweaty. I dash over to her. "Izzy! Are you okay? Where are the others?"

She takes a minute to calm down her breathing and respond to me. "I'm fine. What others? I was the last runner to make it out."

Panic starts to rise in me again. "Harriet and Aris went into the maze earlier. I don't know why, but they did. Have you seen them?"

"Aris? Oh, you mean the boy. No I haven't seen them. You sure you haven't seen somewhere else in the glade?"

I think back to how long I've been pacing and realize that they might have come back without me noticing. But if I heard Izzy come out surely I should have been able to hear them. Still, I can always check around. I'm about to say so out loud when I hear a blood curling scream come from inside the maze, but it's human, definietly human.

"Oh my-" says Izzy unable to finish. "The grievers."

I stand up from kneeling down beside Izzy and walk towards the maze doors. They are about to close and Sonya had told me before that no one had survived a night in the maze. What do I do, what do I do?

I hear the scream and I can't take it anymore. "I have to go," I say out loud not sure if I meant to. "I have to help them."

"Rachel! Are you crazy?!?!"

Maybe I am. I think. Maybe I am.

The walls are just starting to close. I can't think twice about this. I pick up my feet and move them into the maze. I suddenly find myself staring into a deep dark maze that I have never been in before. I am crazy. I swerve my head around and catch Izzy shouting, "No!" right as the doors slam shut.