18-Death Sentence

Rachel's P.O.V

I sat awkwardly and tensely on a wooden stool in a dimly lit room.

Harriet had called a Gathering, and invited me. Aris, Me, Sonya, Izzy, a white-coat, and kitchen keeper, along with a few others I recognized vaguely all sat in a semi circle around Harriet.

My stomach felt uneasy and I was shaky. The empty stool at the end, intended for Marley left a big hole in my chest. Why would she call me in here?

"Listen up Sticks," she began.

Harriet looked unstable, yet somehow pulled together.

"It has come to my attention that since the Grievers now come every night to kill off one of our own. We need to protect our supply and our resources. That rain and cold killed most of our livestock and damaged our crop, so we will have to salvage," she paused.

The uneasiness grew and I felt like I was gonna puke.

"So I propose we move the kitchen supplies to the cell, that way we can free up space in our kitchen for the livestock and other things we need to protect and lock up........which means Beth will need to be released."

There it was.

Aris shot up. "She tried to kill Rachel, she should've been banished in the first place!"

Harriet kept herself composed.

"Beth has been in solitude for a while, I'm sure she has cooled down and is stable now.....besides we need the extra space."

Voices went up at once. There were chatters and shouts from all around. I stood frozen.

"Lets vote, " a girl with light hair suggested.

The kitchen keeper spoke up first. " I vote no, Beth is a lunatic and we can't lose anymore lives, plus I need my kitchen." I suddenly felt so much gratitude for her and I didn't even know her name.

Aris was next. "Bloody Hell! You are all idiots. I vote heck no!"

A white coat spoke up,"I vote yes, but what if we negotiate....say Beth has to sleep in the kitchen with the livestock? "

I felt a little better. At least this way she can't kill me in my sleep.

"I second that idea," Sonya said.

"No. I agree with Aris, she can't be trusted," Izzy said.

"I vote yes," a girl with a long scar acrossed her cheek says.

"Yeah sure whatever," light hair says.

"And I obviously vote yes," Harriet says.

I am too stunned to speak. I would jump in and plead my case. Or desperatly call for a revote, but my throat is stuck. Beth who attacked me, tried to kill me, wants me dead, and is psychotic, is going to be free to run around the Glade. I feel so nervous.

"Well its decided....we will relocate the perishables and the kitchen supplies and Beth will be free,but will be locked up in the kitchen at nights," Harriet sumed up. She looks over at me and a small subtle smile breaks out on her face, only for a moment but I know what it means.

I feel so stupid! Harriet is doing this to me. She doesn't need supplies relocated, she just wants Beth to kill me because she knows she'd be Griever bait if she did it herself. She is using Beth as her weapon, and I'm the target. Panic rises in me and I hurry out of the room. The others disperse and Harriet heads towards the cell.

I double over and heave hot vomit from my throat. It spills over the stone like blood. I throw up til my stomach is empty.

I lean against the wall panting, when Aris wraps his arms around me. I bury my head in his chest and he hugs me tightly. "I promise, I will not let her hurt you. Rachel, I will protect you," he whispers in my head. I find ourv telepathic communication oddly comforting.

But I know he can't guard me 24/7.

Between the Grievers and now Beth, there is a chance I will never escape the maze. But I still cling to my fading wisp of hope. I hold onto it for dear life, since it is the only thing keeping me sane.