29 | p a r t y

At lunch on Friday, the day of the party, everyone was buzzing with excitement

At lunch on Friday, the day of the party, everyone was buzzing with excitement. Everyone was going to be at Peter Davidson's house in just a few hours. It seemed like the only people not jumping for joy were Ace and me; even Lilli was excited for it.

"What are you gonna wear? I think i'm gonna wear my cute jeans I got from H&M and this cute crop top I got online from Brandy Melville! But I can't figure out what shoes to wear. Like, how fancy is this going to be? Do I need to wear heels, or am I okay wearing white vans? Do I need-"

I covered Lilli's mouth with my hands. "Lil, stop stressing. Whatever you wear will be perfect."

She scowled at me. "This is important Melrose Rae King."

"It's really not," I concluded.

Lilli turned to Ace. "What do girls normally wear at parties?"

"Close to nothing," he tells her and goes right back to eating.

"CLOSE TO NOTHING!?" Lilli and I both shouted.

Ace's head whipped back up and he looked to me with wide eyes. "You can wear whatever you want, but most girls go for a more..... Undressed look."

"There is no way I can wear jeans now," Lilli sighed and placed her head in her hands.

I gave the scared boy next to me a glare. He seemed to catch on. "I'll text Peter and ask what the dress code is, okay?" He looked back to me for approval. I nodded and he sighed, most likely glad this was over. But then he smirked and leaned over to me. "You know, Lilli might want to wear her jeans, but you can still wear a short, little skirt if you wanted to."

"Stop being a perv," I told him with a laugh but when his smirk stayed planted on his perfect face, I lightly pushed him away from me and rolled my eyes.

By the end of lunch, Peter had answered Ace's text, telling him that girls could wear anything they wanted because it was an open dress code. That information didn't help Lilli with her outfit stress at all. The whole table, minus Kaz, spent an entire ten minutes trying to convince her that it was okay to wear jeans to a house party.

"You're coming back home with me right? You're not getting ready at Lilli's?" Ace asked me when the bell rang.

I nodded. "Yeah, but she's coming over to get ready."

"Can I hang out with you guys?" He asked me with puppy-dog eyes.

I scrunched my eyebrows together. "Why would you want to?"

"Because I haven't had much Mel time. You're always doing homework or hanging out with Lilli," he had a frown etched onto his face now.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, you can hang out with us, you big baby."

He beamed and then held my cheeks, giving me a loud smooch. "Yes! Thank you! I love you!"

"I love you too Ace."