16 | g o o d m o r n i n g k i s s

I woke up the next morning with my head on a body instead of a pillow

I woke up the next morning with my head on a body instead of a pillow. I was on my side, my head resting on Ace's shoulder. He was nuzzled into the juncture of my neck where it met my shoulder. I could feel his breath, soft and warm against my skin.

I pulled away a little, only so I could see what Ace looked like when he slept. The last time we had slept in the same bed together was the first time Ace had witnessed Charlie's anger. And the next morning, he had woken me up; I never got to see him asleep.

But now, I was able to openly watch as he took involuntary breaths, as his eyelids fluttered softly. He looked sweeter when he slept, I realized. There was no need for him to act like a "bad boy" in his dreams. And before I knew it, I was tracing the once harsh lines that lay on his forehead.

My fingers swept along the shape of his jaw and over his chin. They went back up to his forehead to trace his eyebrows. But when Ace's eyes began to open, I pulled my needy hands away. I was sure he didn't want me touching him when he was trying to get some rest.

When I finally saw his clear green eyes staring back at me, I smiled. He didn't. Instead, he frowned and brought his own hand up to my face and touched my cheek. It hurt a little but he only lightly swept his fingers across the bruises.

"Do they hurt?" He asked me. I noticed his morning breath wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I nodded, "a little." But then I closed my mouth and started to get up. Just because his breath wasn't terrible in the morning, didn't mean mine wasn't either. I felt his hand on my hip, trying to pull me back into bed, which made me smile. "I'm just brushing my teeth, calm down."

Ace pouted a little, bottom lip jutted out and everything. I turned around and went toward his bathroom, rooting around my bag on the way there. Of all the things, of course I had forgotten to take my toothbrush.

"Do you have an extra toothbrush?" I asked him sheepishly.

He chuckled, "No."

Well then.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. Now I'd have bad breath for the rest of the day. I looked over at Ace and saw his eyes brighten. He hopped up and went into the bathroom.

He came back out, producing a toothbrush. "I was kidding. Here," he handed it to me. I smiled.

"Thank you."

I went past him into the bathroom and put toothpaste on and began brushing my teeth. Ace stayed, leaning against the door frame, watching me. There was something oddly domestic about him watching me brush my teeth but I didn't feel like addressing it.

Once I finished, I set the toothbrush down and looked at Ace. "Aren't you going to brush your teeth?" He nodded and picked up the same toothbrush I had just used. "What are you doing?" I asked him.