98. I Need To Make Sure You're Alive

“She looks tired,” that was Emily’s voice.

“I bet she is,” that was Jaeb, and she sounded awed.

“Give her some space, guys,” Mitchell’s deep voice was next.

I was enclosed. There were two warm, firm bands wrapped around me. One supported my back, and the other was under my knees. My head and left shoulder rested against a flat, semi-vertical object that radiated heat, and my right arm dangled.

I was being carried.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, squinting against the harsh glare of the sun. I looked up to see Simon’s concerned face staring down at me.

“Hey,” my voice cracked and I winced.

“Hey,” he replied. “Glad to see you’re back amongst the living.”

“I can’t remember passing out,” I joked.

“Next time you pull a stunt like that,” he whispered, bending close to my ear. “I will kick your ass.” I shivered.

“I don’t doubt it,” I replied. “Can you let me down now?”

“Not a chance,” he held me tighter. “Holding you is keeping me calm.”

“You were incredible, Lia,” Benny cut in, eyes alight with eagerness. “Absolutely incredible.”

“Practically perfect in every way,” Emily giggled, bumping Mitchell’s arm. He ruffled her hair gently.

“She’s right,” he said, shaking his head. “That was amazing.”

“I couldn’t think,” I replied. “It all happened too fast. Is it really over?”

“It’s really over,” Simon said, nuzzling into my neck.

“Dude, at least wait until we’re not here,” Benny groaned and covered his eyes with one hand. “She’s like my sister!”

“Oh?” Simon narrowed his eyes at the blonde. “How do you think I feel when I see you and Jaeb making goo-goo eyes at each other?”

Both Benny and Jaeb flushed bright red, and I gaped. Had I really been so oblivious to my friend’s relationships these past few weeks? I mean, it was understandable. It had been a knowledge overload, but still.

I’ll be a better friend in the future, I vowed, and then glanced up at Simon, who was grinning. A better girlfriend.

“Alright,” Simon said. “Since Jewel here seems preoccupied with staring at me, I want you guys to go talk to the police.”

“Where will you go?” Jaeb demanded, hands on her hips.

“I’m going to take her to the hospital,” I looked up, and when Simon saw the fear, he winked.

“You’re going to take her home and make out with her, aren’t you?” Jaeb crossed her arms. Simon’s expression dropped for a second.

“Maybe,” he hedged.

“If you hurt her more,” Jaeb hissed. “I’ll castrate you.”

A very pale Simon carried me away. I couldn’t help but laugh.

“I used to think you were the leader,” I told him. “Apparently not.”

“Oh, hush,” he paused to bury his head in my hair and inhale again.

“Stop smelling me,” I shoved at his chest, slightly uncomfortable. “I’m all sweaty and gross.”

“I just…” Simon took a deep breath, and it caught. I looked up again, just in time to see him blinking rapidly. Fighting tears.“I just need to make sure that you’re really here. You’re really alive.”

“Hey,” I whispered, putting my hand against his cheek. “I’m here. I’m safe. We both are.”

“When I saw you get hit,” he whispered, eyes filling with tears. “I… I have n-never been s-so afraid in my l-life.”

Simon placed me gently on a park bench, and then wrapped his arms around me and cried into my collarbone.

“Oh, Simon,” I murmured, running my hand over his head. “I love you so, so much. Did you really think that it would be so easy to get rid of me?”

“I t-thought you w-would die!” He whispered fiercely, and then his mouth was on mine, warm and possessive.

There was no magic, no sparks. There was only Simon, and his desperate desire to affirm that I was, in fact, alive.

One warm hand curled around the back of my neck, and the other was hot on my cheek. I grabbed for his shoulder blades, pulling him tight against me.

I loved him. Oh, God I loved this boy so damn much.

“Oi!” I heard Benny call, and pulled away from Simon to glare. “Get a fucking room ya horn dogs.”

Simon laughed breathlessly, and lifted me back into his arms. I snuggled into his warm chest.

“I love you, Jewel,” he told me, as if I needed to hear the words to know that it was true.

“I know, Simon,” I replied. “And I love you just as much. I’ll show you how much I love you once we get home.”

“Well then we better hurry,” I could hear his grin.

We were a few steps away from the car when Simon stiffened and looked up. I followed his gaze to see a figure leaning over the edge, watching us.

“She’s got you whipped,” he called down. Four stories, and we could hear him.

“Tony,” I whispered. Without replying, he pointed at a taller building near us. It was an apartment complex, eight or nine stories tall, with a flat roof.

“Should we?” Simon asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “Maybe?”

“This feels so… final, y’know?” He shivered.

“I know,” I agreed grimly. “I think that if we go up there, it’ll be the last time we ever see Tony.”

“So let’s do it,” Simon said, and he let me down.

It took us ten minutes to walk to the building, and about five to scale the fire escape. Even bruised and battered as I was, the tension in the air made me move quickly.

I could finally make peace with Tony.