51. Too Tame For Revenge

Judging by the death glares that Jaeb sent my way every time I saw her, I figured that Simon had told her what transpired on the roof. I really hoped that she knew that he had basically molested me, because that was sort of the reason that he was now walking around with a purple bruise on his jaw. 

It was also the reason that I sprinted home.

I really didn’t want him to get revenge.

I almost screamed when a car pulled up alongside me, until I realized that it was only Seth and Cody. Laughing breathlessly at my paranoia, I ducked into the back seat.

“We’re going for ice cream,” Seth informed me as Cody spun the car around. I laughed and rested my feet on the central console.

“How are you guys?” I asked, grinning, heart still racing.

“I’m good,” Seth said. “But Cody is bitter because the girl he likes doesn’t like him back.”

“Wow,” I winced. “That sucks, bro.”

“Yeah,” Cody shrugged. “Life sucks.”

“But not for free!” Seth cackled. Cody and I smacked him at the same time.

Maybe we weren’t as different as I thought we were.

The ice cream joint was pretty empty, so we ordered and sat outside. Seth was teasing Cody about his “Lost Lady Lover,” and I just sat, watching them interact. It was all so ordinary, and so normal. There was no freakishness about it. 

I was laughing, head thrown back, eyes closed, when I realized that something was very wrong. A warm body slid into the seat next to me, and an arm was thrown casually around my shoulders. A familiar hand yanked on my braid in a very (unfortunately) familiar way, and my heart stopped.

Nonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono.

I looked over, horrified, to see Simon beside me, smirking. Cody and Seth had yet to notice him yet, so he leaned and whispered in my ear.

“Play along, or they get hurt.”

I would do anything for him after that.

“Who are you?” Seth demanded, turning to face me and seeing Simon. Simon smirked, and I wanted to cry.

“I’m Simon,” he spoke, extending a hand across the table. His next words sealed my fate. “Lia’s boyfriend.”

Seth blinked, and then narrowed his eyes at me. Cody shook off his surprise and shook Simon’s hand.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Cody said. “I’m Cody, and that’s Seth. We’re Lia’s older brothers.”

“I haven’t seen you around school before,” Seth said protectively, dangerously. “Do you go to NHS?”

Simon grinned and nodded. “I just transferred this year with my sister, Jaeb.”

Cody smiled, eyes flashing to my face. I tried to keep the raw terror from showing, but I don’t know if I was that good of an actor. “I’m sorry to say that we haven’t heard much about you.”

And now I was the bad guy.

I fucking hate Simon.