20. I Thought Family Was Supposed to Love You

They hadn’t even noticed that I was gone.

Lia… Emily’s voice in my head was gentle.

Don’t, I crumpled the note in my hand. Just… please don’t… I can’t…

Leaning against the counter, I covered my mouth and sobbed. I had been gone for more than a week, and they hadn’t even noticed. Worse than that, they had thought that I had been moping. They had thought that I had hidden in my room like a brat and sulked for over a week because of a stupid fight.

It hadn’t even been that big of a deal. I had gotten an A- on my report card instead of an A+. My mom had freaked, my dad had been sullen and disappointed, and my brothers had mocked me. They had listed off their numerous accomplishments. They had made my own successes look miniscule. So what if I had gotten straight As since sixth grade? Aaron had gotten straight A+s. So what if I was a third-degree black belt? Max had mastered three types of martial arts.

I, for once, had fought back. I had yelled, demanded that they show me some kind of respect. Didn’t they love me? Couldn’t they just accept me?

“Why do you act like everything I do is worthless?!” I had screamed. “Why do you say you love me and then try and make me feel like crap?! I fucking hate you so much! Why can’t you just love me for who I am?!”

They had all laughed, and I had run, crying, to my room.

And the next morning I had woken up in a Dark Room with four other kids.

Lets just get you guys home, huh? I wiped my cheeks with the palm of my hand.

How? Rajeev asked. We all live miles away.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I shrugged.

And that was how, less than ten minutes later, after I had changed, I was hotwiring my father’s car.