87. In A Perfect World

I went up to the roof again that night, like almost every night. My windows were still screwed shut, so I had to slip out the vent again. It was getting easier and easier every day to do just that.

But this roof trip was different.

I wasn’t even going to ask how Benny managed to climb up two stories without a) falling, and b) someone noticing. Whatever. He was here, sitting, looking nervous and tense. He didn’t see me climb up, so I took a moment to study him.

Benny was hunched, looking almost like he was in pain.

“Hey,” I said softly. He flinched and spun, eyes wide. 

“Hi,” he replied, knotting his fingers together.

“What’s up?” I hated this. I hated feeling like Benny was in the middle of a lake, surrounded by thin ice. I had to tip-toe around him, careful and cautious just to be sure that I didn’t fall through. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. We were friends. Or we had been friends. It wasn’t supposed to be awkward between us. We should be comfortable around one another.

This was just horrible.

Benny took a deep breath, and looked down at his hands as he talked.

“Okay, so the other Freaks and I talked about the whole… Simon thing, and we made a decision. We all decided, and by “we all” I mean Emily and I, decided that we can’t be mad at you for being happy, or for trying to be happy. And if Simon makes you happy, then we have to accept that. Tony, understandably, was less understanding, and kinda ran off again. But that isn’t the point. The point, Lia, is that we want you to be happy, even if the guy who makes you happy is an insufferable douchebag.”

I was touched.

“Thank you, Benny,” I whispered. “Why didn’t Emily come?”

“Tony…” Benny shook his head angrily. “Tony broke up with her. He said some things… not nice things that messed her up a bit. She didn’t want to make you feel bad by being unhappy.”

“Can I talk to her?” I sat beside my friend.

“I’d wait a bit. She’s pretty torn up.” I nodded, and looked down.

“Do you know why Simon hated us? Well, me mostly, and you guys by extension.”

“I guess,” Benny shrugged. “I’ve been wondering that for a while.”

“He was a lab rat, just like us,” I said, looking up at the star-less sky. There was only the moon, pale and sickly. No stars tonight. “And in the entire facility, there was only one person who was nice to him. She was a nurse who made sure he ate and took his temperature and blood pressure every day. She always had her hair back in a braid, and she was blonde. I’m guessing that she looked a lot like me.

“So, they tried to escaped a lot, and every time they were caught. Simon finally put the pieces together. He had been telling Vivian, the nurse, about their escape plans before they tried. He thought that she was his friend, and he trusted her. She betrayed them.

“Simon killed them all. It was an accident, really. And he didn’t kill everyone. He lost control of his powers and six people on his floor died. Vivian was one of them. He found Mitchell and Jaeb and they broke out together. He was ten years old. Mitchell was twelve, and Jaeb was nine.”

“It makes me feel kinda bad for him,” Benny admitted.

“I know,” I wrapped my arms around my knees. “We’ve all got baggage like that, y’know? I’ve got my parents, and you’ve got your sister. Emily has her dad, and Simon has his past in the lab.”

“Maybe…” Benny scratched at his head. “Maybe we should try and get to know them better. No more fighting, right?”

“Right,” my cheeks felt like they might split into two. I was so happy. “Maybe tomorrow? We could go out for lunch.”

“That sounds like fun,” Benny agreed. “I’ll let Emily know.”

“Should we go to K and L’s?” I named one of the breakfast/lunch diners in our town. Benny nodded.

“Who’s paying?” He raised an eyebrow, and I laughed. 

“I’ll borrow my moms credit card.”

“Borrow?” Now both eyebrows climbed towards his hair.

“Without telling her. She won’t mind.” Benny shook his head and laughed.

“You seem happy, Lia,” he told me. “And that makes up happy.”

“Thank you,” I grinned. 

“You’re welcome,” Benny shrugged. “I should probably head home. I just wanted to let you know that we forgive you.”

“I appreciate it,” I nodded my head. “Goodnight. Sweet dreams.”

“Thanks, Li,” Benny stood and looked over the edge. I saw him blanch, and snickered.

Without asking, I hooked my elbows under his arms and threw us both into the air. Benny sucked in a great breath and kicked his legs involuntarily.

Trying not to laugh at him anymore, I flew him down to the front lawn. Then, waving goodbye, I flew back to the roof and stretched out on my stomach.

I was giddy. Happier than when I had started dating Simon. I got my friends back. I got to stay with Simon, and I got my best friends back.

It wasn’t perfect, I mean. If it was perfect, Tony would be here, and Rajeev as well.

The world is never perfect.

But this was close enough.