61. I Guess They Didn't Know I Could Fly

It was on Sunday that I finally felt human(ish) again. And to celebrate that, we broke into the school and climbed up onto the roof again.

This time, there were no blankets or stargazing. This time we sat on the edge, with our legs hanging in space. Emily leaned against Tony, who had his arm around her shoulders. Benny and I kicked at each others legs.

It was peaceful.

“So we didn’t get to go through with Operation Get Answers,” Benny grumbled.

“Is that really the best name you could come up with?” Tony snickered.

“Yes,” Benny sniffed indignantly.

“Silly Benny,” Emily replied, a little dazed. “Tricks are for kids.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Benny asked.

“She’s telling you not to lie,” I had figured out how to interpret Emily’s craziness, which I was proud of.

“Oh. So she’s calling me a liar?” Benny tried to look offended, but couldn’t hold back his grin.

“We’re all calling you a liar,” Tony replied.

“Loser,” Benny stuck out his tongue.

“Brat,” Tony replied.

“I’m older than you!” Benny cried in mock outrage. “And taller!”

“Nuh uh,” Tony grinned. “I was born in March. You were born in April.”

“I’m older than both of you,” I beamed. “October, bitches.”

“Yeah,” Benny sneered. “That just means that you’ll die before us.”

“Not if I kill you,” I smiled cheekily at him. Subtly, Benny scooted away from me.

And then he gasped, and was falling forward off the edge of the building.

I didn’t think. I threw my arms out and grabbed for him. One hand tangled in the front of his shirt, and the other caught his wrist.

But then I was getting pulled off the roof.

Tony wrapped an arm around my waist and threw himself backwards. All three of us collapsed in a heap on the ground. I looked to see what had made Benny fall, and my blood ran cold.

Because really, who else would it be?

“You could have killed him,” I informed Jaeb coldly. 

“Too bad,” she simpered. I wanted to punch her.

And then Tony was punching Jaeb, and we were all fighting.

I can’t really remember it. I went on autopilot, as if I was in a dream. Benny and I were trying to get close enough to Simon to throw a half-decent punch, and Emily was manipulating metal around Mitchell. Tony was going after Jaeb viciously, fists flaming.

I heard Emily scream before I saw her fly.

For a second, a single split-second, I hesitated. And then I saw my best friend arcing through the air, falling towards the edge of the building. Falling towards what would be her death.

And I didn’t think.

I ran.

I pushed my legs harder than I ever have before, straining to get to the edge of the building before Emily fell past it. If she cleared the lip before I could catch her, she was dead.

I couldn’t think.

I could only run, faster and faster. I saw Emily, ten feet ahead of me and nearly level. My right foot hit the edge of the roof and I threw myself into empty air, reaching out for her.

My arms encircled her legs like a vice, and I extended my wings and pushed downwards, hard.

Benny and Tony cheered when they saw me rise up, cradling my best friend tightly. Jaeb, Simon, and Mitchell, however, blanched.

“You… you can fly?” Simon whispered, just loud enough for me to hear as I touched down.

“Obviously,” I glared. “I’m as much of a freak as you are. Maybe even more of one.”

“Lia?” Emily asked.

“You’re safe, Emmy,” I whispered, letting her down. She shook her head.

“I went flying,” she giggled.

“Yeah? Well now we’re going home.” I glared at the three other freaks in turn, daring them to try and stop me.

They didn’t try to stop me.

But honestly, with how angry I was. Would you?