86. This One Is Mine

“Hey,” a familiar arm encircled my shoulders and drew me against Simon’s side. I grinned and leaned my head against his shoulder.

“Hi,” I replied, looking up at him. He was smiling proudly.

“How are you?” He asked, leading me to the edge of the ice.

“Well I think I’ve got this skating thing down,” I said firmly, glaring down at the skates. 

“A bit different from flying, isn’t it,” he chuckled.

“A lot different,” I linked my gloved hand with his.

“Well, I do have a present for you,” I bit my lip.

“You shouldn’t get me anything,” I told him. “Really. You guys should be focusing on keeping yourselves alive.”

“Hush,” Simon swatted me playfully. “Just say ‘thank you’ like a good little girl.”

“Thank you, Simon,” I accepted the small box. “I’m going to follow social norms and give you your present on Christmas.”

“Shut up, Jewel,” he kissed my temple. “And open the goddamn box.”

I grinned and pulled off the wrapping paper. I knew that if I put it in my coat, I would most likely forget about it until next winter, but I stuffed it away anyway. Then I pulled open the box and gasped.

Nestled in folds of satin was a simple gold band with a small blue gemstone in the middle, in the shape of a heart.

“Jaeb helped me pick it out,” Simon admitted. “It’s a promise ring. Wow this is actually kind of embarrassing to say. Whatever. It means that I’m promising to stay true to you and to be loyal and love you forever.”

“Oh, Simon,” I whispered, tears pricking my eyes. “I love it.”

“I’m glad,” once again, he enclosed me in his arms.

It was strange that I could find comfort in the arms of someone who used to make a game out of hurting me. I guess Emily was right when she said that the line between hate and love was very thin.

After sliding the gold band onto the ring finger of my left hand, I kissed him gently, chastely.

Simon caught the back of my head in his hand and held me tight against him. He was warm, and solid, and mine.

I loved him.