Family

~~S H A P E  O F M E~~
"Oh if she loves me, Halleluya. She say she loves me, Halleluya." Tunde sang at the top of his voice.

"Tunde keep quiet!" I roared in anger. I was feeling a tornado of emotions inside of me, so strong that I couldn't even decipher how I felt. I felt scared, sad and angry all at once and there was sadly not a name for that—except if 'confused' would do.

Presenting anything in front of my classmates always made me shake like the small generators some people used in Nigeria(AKA I better pass my neighbour). It was never a pleasant experience for me as I either stumbled through all my words or was dragged off the stage by a sympathetic teacher.

With all those experiences, my teacher had decided not to use his sense and told me to read a speech in front of the whole school. A speech! In front of the whole fudging school! Disgracing him would be wonderful on the D-day.

The thought of saying a word to anyone I didn't know was enough to make me want to melt into a puddle of sweat and mess not to talk less of a multitude of people. I was sure I would just drop dead and my teacher would come and carry my dead body.

"Why are you so angry?" Tunde asked as he came up the stairs.

"Nothing." I frowned and turned away from him. "You just sing that stupid song way too many times and it's annoying."

"I just found out about the song yesterday dummy. My guy Johnny Drille out again with another banger."

I raised an eyebrow at him as he went on professing his love of Johnny Drille's music as he always did. He was obsessed with every song Johnny Drille released–calling each and every one of them a hit–not forgetting the song 'Wait for me' was his anthem.

"Just go back to your room and talk to all those ugly girls you always talk to."

"Jealou-sy." Tunde turned to grin at me then continued rummaging through the fridge.

"Tope you are home already?"

"Ah Mami I didn't know you were home already. E ku osan ma." I quickly knelt down to greet her.

"Pele my dear. Dide." She raised me up.

This was the tradition in our house, although we didn't speak our language. Mami had already decided that we weren't letting go of all of our culture. We were to greet her anywhere and any time we saw her the same way we would if we were back in Nigeria.

Most people stared at me when they saw me kneeling in public, and although I was sometimes self-conscious I still was and would always be proud of my culture.

"I need someone to go with me to the supermarket right now. So one of you should just use your church mind and follow me before I make the both of you follow me for a whole full month."

"No!" Tunde and I exclaimed in unison.

"Mami let Tunde go with you. I went last time."

"Okay Tunde come and go with me."

"Mami I would have loved to go, but I have to send my applications to universities today because the deadline is soon." Tunde explained in a sober and fake sincere tone.

"Tunde!" I glared at him with all my might. If my eyes were lasers, they would have bore a hole through his humongous, bald head.

"Mami please don't listen to him, he's lying."