12 Activities

<><><><><><>Author's Note<><><><><><><><>

So, I had already completed the story, but I felt like it was too short. So, as part of my editing, I decided to add this chapter!!! For those that have already read this, think of it as a bonus :)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ayden was right. He was right about many things. The men came in to bring me my lunch. I didn't have to worry about dinner till later on in the day. He was also right about the necessity for me to be strong. Every time an imagination of the worst case scenario popped into my head, I tried my hardest to push it out. Without the unhappy thoughts, time passed by a lot quicker. Then again, I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted. I wanted to savor every minute I had before Ichabod came with my dinner.

I was twirling a strand of hair with my fingers when I heard heavy footsteps from outside the jail. I glanced at the window. The sun was shining brightly high up in the sky. I looked back down and scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. Dinner shouldn't be served yet, I thought. The only explanation was that Ayden was coming for me. I still found it weird; he only visited me right after lunch, and he just left the jail an hour ago. I forced myself to believe it was Ayden.

So of course, when I heard a thump against the door, I casually said, "come in." I was surprised when I saw who walked through the door. Two of the men trudged in.

"Thank you so much for inviting us inside," one of them muttered under his breath loud enough for me to hear. I scowled and lunged towards him, but the shackles refrained me from doing so. One of the men pulled out a key from his pocket and inserted it into the lock attached to my cell door. With one simple twist, the door swung open. I crawled to the corner of the room, trying to get as far away from the men as possible.

I refused to look at them. My hair covered my face as I stared at the floor. When one of them grabbed my wrist, my head shot up. One of them still held onto my wrist while the other grabbed another key from his pocket. He twisted it into the hole found in the cuff around my wrist. It unlached itself from my wrist. The men still held onto my wrist and pulled me out of my cell. I was dazed by confusion.

"Are you helping me escape?" I asked as we exited the jail.

Both of them laughed. Wow, I've never heard them laugh before, I thought. Frankly, I had no desire to hear them laugh again. Their laugh sounded creepy, and almost sinister.

"Why would we help you escape?" one of them scoffed. I rolled my eyes and breathed in deeply, restraining every desire to snap back at them. "We're taking you to see Ichabod," the other explained. I bit my lip and processed what he said as we made our way through many hallways and stairs. I didn't pay attention to where the men were leading me. I was so lost in my worrisome thoughts that it wouldn't have made a difference if I was blindfolded. 

Ichabod wanted to see me before dinner? That never happened. This must be important if he couldn't wait until night time, I thought. Does he know that I remember the day he killed my father? No, that's not possible. How would he have found out? My heart broke into tiny pieces when a thought struck me. Did Ayden tell him?

I shook my head at that thought, almost feeling ashamed. There's no way he would, right? I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Ichabod got tired of me. Maybe he was finally getting rid of me. We had climbed a short flight of stairs and were now standing in front of a door with intricate designs. It looked like a piece of art in a museum. I continued to gaze at its beauty until one of the men pulled it open and shoved me inside. I stood in the middle of the room with the men behind me, placing their hands behind their backs.