xix. pawns class

You stared at the black chalkboard with the words 'help me' scratched onto it, [e/c] orbs clouded in desolation

Surrounding you was a dimly lit empty classroom that sent shivers up your spine, raising goosebumps on your skin though you masked what you truly felt with a dull expression—a face you came to master through the many trainings with your 'in-laws'.

You were currently in the Pawns Class for first-years, arriving earlier than you had intended to.

Well, this was partially because of Risa.

She had told you that you were going back to Tanren Academy on a last minute decision before proceeding to pull you into a car with her.

Yeah, Kousuke wasn't happy.

However, he did nothing to stop his mother from dragging you away from him as he knew something you obviously didn't.

You sighed, covering your eyes with your hands upon remembering what the discussion with Risa had been like. Well, it wasn't like you were going to tell the whole conversation to the world; that was a story for another day!

You sat back on your chair just as the bell rang, the sound a drawling noise that didn't seem alarming but rather frightful, a tune you knew would never leave your memories.

The bell didn't stop ringing until the metal door to the classroom creaked open and a male student stepped in, head depressingly glanced downwards.

When he looked up, both of your eyes widened, and you stood up, chair screeching against the floor.

"It's you!!"

Both of you synced, pointing accusing fingers at each other, surprise crossing your features.

Your jaw dropped. "You're that guy!! The dude that was being bullied! The target!"

At first, you were a little in doubt of yourself, but once you got a better insight, you were positive it was that guy.

Bruises were etched across his face, many bandages covering visible parts of his body. He was carrying crutches as one of his legs was in a cast, the other heavily wrapped with a gauze.

"And you're the girl that stood up to the Emperor!!" the male retorted. "The one who dared to break his rules! What are you doing here?!"

You huffed, knowing it'd be useless to argue with the idiot who wasn't even thankful of your attempts to save him.

"I didn't participate in the game of rules, so the headmaster put me into the Pawns Class," you begrudgingly informed, honestly telling the truth.

"I should've known," the male shook his head, pitifully waddling to his desk, which was sadly next to yours. "You looked like a person who wouldn't break any rules except the Emperor's."