Chapter 5

The next morning Barry woke with Caitlin still lying in his arms as she was last night- still breathing. It had taken him a little while for him to fall asleep the previous night as he had been almost beside himself with worry for quite some time. He couldn't bear the thought of falling asleep then her dying because of it. He couldn't be alone again especially now that he was beginning to get on her good side. Soon there will be a good chance of friendship between them and that could, or at least he hoped, that it would lead to something more in the future. There was too much at stake for him to lose her to the cold tonight.

He knew that he should get up and get some food for the both of them but he didn't want to leave her alone. After all, having her beside him felt so good. Just the thought of no longer holding her like this made him feel empty inside and out, numb even. He did not wish to part from her for the world. His attachment may seem foolish but falling in love drove him mad. So he just lay there beside her, listening silently to the sound of her breathing until it became less deep as she awoke from her slumber. She didn't open her eyes straight away, only blinked repeatedly with her eyes still shut. It was quite cute really to see her flicker and sigh as she woke like an angel.

Barry noticed instantly that her skin was a lot less pale and the colour in her cheeks had returned. She was looking rosier again and as beautiful as ever. She felt warmer again but still a little weak. She needed some more rest and definitely some food but she should be okay as long as she takes it easy for a little while. Yet he still worried greatly for her and her wellbeing. He needed to be sure that she was perfectly healthy but what he did hope was that she would allow him to look after her. He knew that it would be difficult for her but still, he had hope that for once she would let someone take care of her the way she deserves to be taken care of even if she did find it difficult. However, she had let him last night in her weak state so perhaps she might let him again.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Barry asked quietly as she opened her eyes, blinking a few times over.

"Better, thank you. You kept me warm and saved my life so I am really in your debt. I can't thank you more for all you have done for me," Caitlin murmured hoarsely, wiping sleep away from her eyes with a yawn. It meant that she had to untangle her arms from him which left a sinking feeling in her heart yet she forced it down and pushed it away. As much as she wanted to wrap herself around him again now she had run out of the reasons to be able to do it rationally.

"No, you need to stay warm for a little while longer. Keep holding onto me," he pulled her close once again and held her tight sending butterflies all through his body and even a few through hers.

"What about breakfast?"

"Don't worry, Caitlin, everything will be fine. You just need to rest. I know that you are feeling better now but you are still weak and shouldn't exert yourself at all for a day or two. Just until you are completely okay. Plus, you need to rest that ankle of yours. It won't heal if you are on your feet all the time. So I guess I will be waiting on you for the next few days," he replied, chuckling slightly at how restless she was.

"Oh you don't have to do that, I'm fine. You have enough to do on your daily chores, you don't have to do mine as well," she protested, shaking her head but he interrupted her. With a kiss. It wasn't anything big- just a short peck of the lips. Nor was it romantic really, more platonic as that was what he wanted to frame it as. Just an innocent, little peck of the lips that meant nothing more than a little sign to show friendship and platonic affection.

"You are not fine. You need rest, Cait. Now, I will quickly make breakfast and stock up the fire so you just stay put," he kissed her head for a moment before getting up to go make breakfast at the fire. She lay in wait and watched as he walked around. The kiss had been short and she knew that he had intended it to be completely platonic but in her heart, she felt just a little more than friendship when their lips touched. A little bit of desire when she felt his skin against hers. It lit a fire under her skin and it burned when he came close to her. It was strange but she felt attracted to him in a way that she had never expected. Especially as only a couple of days ago she felt nothing but animosity towards him.