Chapter 2

Over the stretch of two days, Caitlin recovered her strength and was able to live without Barry's support. To her, it was a Godsend. He was always fussing over her and checking on her which bugged her more and more every time he did it. Without even trying to, she very quickly learnt his daily routine. First, he would wake up, eat and drink, patrol the shoreline for survivors, wash in the lagoon then go fishing for a couple hours. It only caused her further disdain at how good he was at spear fishing and how plentiful his catches were- he was a natural and she was green with envy.

Speaking of the lagoon though, it was beautiful. The water was crystal blue with a small waterfall that churned the water. It was always warm and it was surrounded by jungle. She swam there naked every morning then put her bikini on, the one she was wearing under her clothes the night of the sinking, and lay in the sun until she dried off. Mostly Barry let her do whatever she wanted whilst she was gaining her strength back but that didn't mean he didn't constantly badger her with small talk. Talking was also something he was very good at. Usually, she just faked a smile and nodded along not really listening to what he was saying but that put her in the doghouse whenever he asked her a question. As he annoying as he was though, Caitlin still acknowledged that Barry was better company than no one and she supposed that he did save her life after all. But nevertheless, she was going to leave him soon anyway to make her own camp. 

Though Barry had no reason to suspect that she disliked him, she didn't want him to think that she didn't. It wasn't because she cared but because she didn't want him to think of her as an awful person especially after all he had done for her. Sure, she was grateful but that didn't mean she could stand him for any longer than she had to. There was only so much of this man that she could take before she blew her top. He may be kind but being kind just isn't quite enough for her. She just wanted to be left alone and in peace but he clearly wanted something entirely different. No wonder he can't get a date.

"Hey, Caitlin, do you want me to teach you how to fish? It would be much better for us if we could both do it then there would be more food. It's not hard, I promise, you will be able to do it in no time at all," Barry offered one morning as he grabbed his spearfishing rod. It was only a large and lean stick that he had sharpened at the edge somehow into a pointed blade but it seemed to do the job he needed it to just fine.

"Oh, that's alright. I'm sure I can work it out myself. Thanks for the offer though," Caitlin faked a smile and watched as he shrugged before leaving to go down to the shoreline. "Wait!" She called, standing up on her feet and running after him. "There is something I need to discuss with you.  A matter that I think should be solved now before we lose too much time," she spoke formally as he turned back to her.

"What matter would that be?" Barry asked curiously. He had a very boyish look about him; like he was a boy scout all over again. Though she wouldn't let that deter her from her goal.

"I would like to move out and create my own camp. I know that you have helped me so and I am very grateful for that, of course, but I feel like I need my own space and besides, I am sure you would like it if I got out of your hair. Then you only have to fish for yourself. I'm sure we can negotiate sharing the lagoon and drinking water from the creek next to it. After all, I think this is on both of our best interests," she explained in full grandeur, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I don't see why it would be in both of our best interests, we are both more likely to survive if we work together. I understand that you want your own space but I can make you a separate tent if you really want even though it would be better if we shared body heat at night," he replied, his eyes narrowing with confusion.

"I don't need you to make anything for me, I am perfectly capable of handling things myself," she snarled proudly.

"I know you are, I seriously don't doubt it, but I just want to help. I mean if this is really what you want then I won't stop you. But if you do need any assistance then you can always ask me or you are always welcome to come back and stay here with me if you change your mind. I know you won't ask but just in case you want to then my door is always open," he smiled before turning his back and walking away to the shore as happy as ever.