Chapter 7

A few more days past and both Barry and Caitlin found themselves tiptoeing around each other not knowing that their secret love for each other was actually reciprocated. It was funny really- the way they acted around each other- like they had no idea what to do around each other which was difficult seeing as they were trapped on an island together. Though they weren't lonely like they were before, just hoping and waiting for something to finally blossom between them. But unfortunately for the two of them, they were both far too busy avoiding each other to realise that they were completely perfect for one another. Unfortunately, they were both a bit too distracted to actually see the obvious.

Both Barry and Caitlin had been busy with their chores all morning especially as they were finding any excuse to not speak to each other since breakfast. Neither Barry or Caitlin were sure how quite to occupy their time forever even though they both knew that they couldn't do this forever. They had to talk again at some point but it was too hard to admit to each other the way they were feeling. It wasn't something that came naturally to either of them and if the were being completely honest with themselves. Still, they had begun to miss being around each other all the time the way they used to before things got all so... complicated. Feelings were complicated let alone out here in a desert island where there was no single other soul to talk to. 

"Hey Cait, I was wondering... maybe you want to learn how to fish. I could teach you if you want. Especially as I'm trying to start to hunt for other animals- I know that we are both starting to get kind of sick of fish. But if we can both fish then I can get us some other meat as well then we will have much more food. I don't want you to take this the wrong way or anything but you are looking a little bit thin and I think I am too.  We need to eat more otherwise we might get sick and if that happens then we both really are screwed. Only if you want to though. If you would rather relax or do anything else then you can but I just thought, you know, that it might help us out a little bit," Barry asked nervously that morning, barely being able to look at her while he spoke.

It was just that talking to her was becoming more and more difficult as time goes on. In the last week or so they had become so very close and he had fallen completely for her now. If he thought he had loved her before then that version of himself hadn't seen anything yet. She was by far the most wonderful woman he had ever met in his life- everything that he had ever wanted and dreamt of with so much more. It felt wrong to even consider not being with her and he knew they were on bought time- he had to do something otherwise... otherwise, he really will lose her forever and his one chance. And that wasn't exactly hyperbole either, they lived in two different cities. He in New York and she in Madison. It wasn't so far away but far enough away for two completely different states and for them to never see each other again. He couldn't let that happen- not now, not after all he had been through just to get her to become his friend. He couldn't lose touch with the love of his life now. 

"I would love to, Barry. And no, it's not rude of you to point out my weight or your own for that matter. I think our diet and nutrition should be top of our priority list at the moment. As you said if either of us gets sick then we are screwed, we have no medicine or medical supplies only my knowledge and knowledge won't help that much in a crisis. We can't let it get to that point so we need to be vigilant. I wish we had more time to explore the island and see what's on here and what we can use. We know it's quite small, it only takes a few hours to walk around the entire circumference but surely there must be more on here than just sand and trees and some pigs," Caitlin vented, breathing slightly more erratically than she usually did. Partially because of how nervous it made her when they talked about serious issues such as this one but also partially because of her feelings for him. It wasn't easy to be in such a state in front of him.

"I know, I think the same thing and once we are a bit stronger then we can explore more but, of course, our main focus is always on... well, you know, surviving," he breathed out lowly, looking at her with grave eyes. She could tell exactly what he was thinking and to tell the truth, she was thinking the exact same thing. He was frightened of the future, of what could happen to them out here, of whether they would ever get rescued. She was feeling that same pressure.