Chapter 9

"Babe! I bring tonight's dinner! Cait, sweetheart, where are you?!" Barry called out just returning to Co after a hunt. He had managed to find himself a rather fat pig and was now dragging it back to his lady.

"I'm here, darling!" Caitlin called back, emerging from their tent looking quite flustered. "Wow, that's really something you have there, honey," her eyes widened as she laid eyes on the dead animal he had trailing behind him. "By my guess, if we could keep the meat from going bad that could feed us both for the entire week," she continued, wandering over to her boyfriend and giving him an affectionate kiss still looking a little rattled.

"Thank you, dear. Now, what have you been doing whilst I've been gone? You look a little bit red. Are you blushing?" He asked curiously,  touching her cheek.

"Nothing much. Just uh... daydreaming. About our future. If we ever get off this island that is. I know that might be a long way away but I still like to think about it, it's a nice distraction from all of the craziness of being here. It's a nice escape and I have nothing else happy enough to clutch onto but you, love. Thinking about us is what keeps me going," she answered bashfully, turning bright pink in the face. It was an adorable colour- or at least Barry thought so. Then again any colour was beautiful on her.

"But that doesn't answer specifically why you are so flustered? What specifically were you thinking about me that got you oh so red?" He smirked, pulling her close by the waist and leaning into her neck to kiss there seductively.

"I think you know exactly what I was thinking about, dear, so I won't blow up your ego any further than I already have..." she pulled away from him with a smile and kiss on the cheek. "Besides we don't have time right now, we have to get dinner on. I think we both know it's going to rain so we should be in bed as soon as possible. We don't want to get wet. Remember what happened last time," she warned, beginning to help him move the carcass towards the campfire to wash it and get ready to cook it.

It wasn't a particularly pleasant process but they did what they needed to survive. It wasn't glamorous or anything she was used to but there was no other choice for them. It was either this or starving to death and she definitely wanted to stay alive. There were still people in this world who needed her including him. Island life had hardened her up, she wasn't nearly as squeamish as she used to be. She spent her mornings checking for ticks and bugs on her boyfriend's body whilst he did the same for her. She had seen the guts of dead wild animals and ate them. She was willing to do just about anything to survive and survive with Barry no matter how gross it becomes. They had to live together for the future they were dreaming of having- they just have to earn it first.

"Hey, last time might have been stressful for us both but it's what got us talking to each other, isn't it? We wouldn't be together right now without that storm. We didn't realise it at the time and maybe we bint for some time but truly I think it was at very least a good thing for us. As a couple. If we hadn't had that then just think about where we would be without it," Barry replied sternly, touching her shoulder gently.

"I guess you are right. I didn't start to fall in love with you until after that moment. The way you cared for me was like nothing I had ever felt before in my entire life. I have been used to taking care of people and saving people my whole career but no one has ever done the same thing for me. I know it must have been an incredibly small thing for you to do- I imagine that you two do this sort of things all the time- but it meant everything to me and I am still completely in your debt. I still don't know however to thank you. But anyway that's not what important. I suppose we decide what's important. But I do know that you are important to me. When it comes to you, I will never have the appropriate amount of words to describe just how grateful I am. Whilst that night was full of bad things, it did start the best thing that has ever happened to me so truthfully I can't hate that night one bit. Not even a small amount," she kissed his brow with a sigh and cupped his cheek, smiling as they gazed into each other's eyes.