Pathetic // Theatre AU

Um...character name is Natalie today. (How's that for on the spot character naming? 😂)

You worked in a very small theater company, but you loved everything about it. In fact, you were playing one role, and swinging three. That's how small this company was.

You walked into rehearsals that Monday, and first thing you heard was that two of the three swings you learned, were out. Meaning you were now balancing three characters for this rehearsal, as well as that night's show. "Alright. I can be ready in ten minutes." You told your director, after he gave you the news.

"Perfect." He nodded.

You ran off to your dressing room, and got ready in an astounding five minutes. "Hey, I'm going to run to the bathroom, I'll be back in just a second." You told one of your castmates, Olivia. You two had basically become cast sisters. You went down the hall to the bathroom on the far South side of the building. It was just a single, so you closed the door, locked it, and slumped down onto the floor.

You never let the stress get to you like this before. Never ever. But for whatever reason, what your director told you just made your head spin, and your shoulders feel like the weight of the world was upon them. Your head dropped into your hands, as hot tears started running down your face. God, you were so pathetic. You jumped up at the sound of a knock on the door. "Someone...someone's in here." You stuttered out through tears.

"Natalie, I know it's you. You sound upset. Can you let me in, please?" You knew that accent. It was the accent that belonged to Val Chmerkovskiy, a.k.a. your stage boyfriend (in your swing role), and your offstage crush. Kind of. You were still in that blurry area of "do I like him, do I not?"

"Val, rehearsal starts soon, and I don't want you to get in trouble." You called back.

"And I don't want you to be locked in a bathroom crying by yourself." He said, opening the door.

"How'd you do that?" You asked, confused as to how he had managed to pick the lock.

"I have my ways." Val sat down beside you. "Now, tell me, Love, why are you crying in this tiny bathroom, all alone?"

"It's stupid." You mumble, drying your eyes.

"I personally think that anything that makes you cry isn't stupid." Val said, looking directly at you.

"It is stupid!" You repeat yourself, putting your head back in your hands. You didn't even care that Val was around when your tears started falling again. You tensed up slightly as his hand came to your back, and started moving up and down your spine.

"Shh, Natalie, Love, I gaurentee you that none of this is stupid." His lips came to the top of your head, and you could feel your heart rate start to pick up.

"It just makes my brain hurt!" You exclaim, looking up at Val with red eyes and tear stained cheeks. He ran his thumb under your eyes to dry your tears.

"What does, Nat? What's making your brain hurt?" Val asked, softly.

"Being all these roles! It's just a lot in a short period of time! And this is pathetic, I shouldn't be this worked up over something so small!" You borderline shout, as your head goes back to your palms.

"Hey, look at me." Val says, now seriously. He titled your chin up. "This is not pathetic. You were just asked to fill in two roles you haven't gotten the chance to fully rehearse in two months, as well as balance your own role, for a show in less than eight hours. That is a lot of pressure. Listen, breathe, we can stay here for a moment--" He stopped when you parted your lips, but he cut you off, knowing what you were already going to stay. "Screw rehearsals and David, I'll cover later. Anyway, we'll stay here for a little longer than a New York minute, relax, calm down, and then go. You won't perform your best all choked and worked up like this." Val told you, and you just simply nodded. "Now, come here." He leaned you onto his shoulder. "You are not pathetic, I promise you that." Val kissed the top of your head once more, and you finally started to breathe easier.