Chapter 7

MITCH

Time goes by way too quickly. Before we know it, it's nine-thirty and we have to go. Scott sends a quick text to his sister before standing up and brushing grass off his clothes. I don't bother getting up yet; I just watch him. He notices me watching him and grins, holding out a hand for me. I take it and let him haul me up.

"Hey, Mitch?" he asks, sounding almost nervous. I don't know why he would be nervous now. He was so confident all night.

"Yeah?" I respond.

He laces his fingers through mine. "I don't know if it's too fast for you, and-and it's okay if it is, but... I know how I feel about you, so... will you be my boyfriend?" he asks, looking away at the end.

Literally, he is the most perfect thing ever.

"Yes. Yes, of course," I say, smiling like a complete idiot.

Kirstie is going to freak. We'll be fangirling together all night.

So when I get home, the first thing I do is call her. She picks up on the second ring. "HOW WAS IT?" she yells right away, without letting me say anything.

"It was amazing! Scott is so, so sweet and amazing and oh my gosh, Kirstie, it was amazing!" I ramble.

"Awww! I'm so happy for you, Mitch!" she replies.

"I'm really happy when I'm around him. But guess what? He saw my wrists," I admit. So now, Scott and Kirstie are the only ones who know about my cutting.

"Are you serious? What-"

"He was fine with it. And- he's just too good for me, Kirstie," I say, starting to get emotional.

"Mitch!"

"It's true."

She's quiet. Finally, she says, "I can't even begin to say how happy I am for you."

"You've already said that," I tease.

She giggles. "Whatever. Hey, I'm gonna go. See you Monday?" she says, yawning.

"See you Monday," I confirm, and hang up.

I lay back in my bed and stare at the ceiling, grinning from ear to ear. For once in my life, I am genuinely happy.

It's the best feeling in the world.

SCOTT

When Maddie and I pull in the driveway, I'm smiling so, so much. But my happiness is wiped away as soon as we walk through the front door.

My parents are home.

My dad looks up at us from his newspaper. "Where were you two?" he spits.

"Out," Maddie retorts. When it comes to my parents, Maddie is always the one who talks back. I can't. I just can't.

My night is going to be ruined. The best night of my life is going to be ruined because of my parents.

Maddie is seventeen. Ever since I came out to my family last year, she's been telling me that when she turns eighteen, we'll move out together. Away from our parents. Even though they really have no problem with her like they do with me, she always takes what they say to me personally.

Dad rolls his eyes. "Go to bed. I don't want to deal with either of you today," he grumbles.

I don't think twice before I hurry down the hall to my room. Sometimes I wish I could have it easier at home. But at least I've got Mitch now.

A/N: do you guys like this story so far? I really hope you do :)

Thank you guys so so so so much for all the votes!

10 votes for next chapter?