Chapter 2

MITCH

At lunch, I finally find Kirstie. We sit at table alone together, which doesn't bother me. I'm used to it.

She eyes the number on my hand. "Miiitch," she says in a sing-song voice. I roll my eyes.

"Scott Hoying. He kind of saved me from Travis earlier, and said we should hang our sometime," I explain, aware of the large grin crossing my face.

"Oh my gosh, you like him," Kirstie squeals.

"Maybe."

Kirstie continues to fangirl, bouncing up and down. Suddenly, I hear a very familiar voice from behind us.

"Mind if I sit with you guys?"

I turn around and feel myself blush. It's Scott.

"Sure, go ahead," I reply.

He sits across from us, nodding to Kirstie.

"I'm-"

"You're Scott. I've heard about you. I'm Kirstie, it's nice to meet you," Kirstie interrupts, grinning.

Scott looks at me and smiles. "Do you still sing?" he asks me.

When were in theater, we performed in a musical together. It was fun. Even back then, he had a really good voice. I want to hear him sing now though.

"Yeah, me and Kirstie have done some covers of songs. Do you?" I reply, ignoring Kirstie as she gives wiggles her eyebrows at me.

"Yeah, I do too. It's actually a really big part of my life," Scott admits.

We continue to talk, mostly just me and him, Kirstie sometimes adding her opinion. I learn some things that I didn't know before, but one thing hits me hard.

"Oh, I should go. There's my girlfriend."

Damn it, what were you thinking, crushing on a straight boy, I think to myself.

"Girlfriend?" I choke out. I ignore the look that Kirstie gives me.

"Yeah. Cassie Addle? Remember her?" he asks.

I nod. She was always a bitch, and still is. She's your average popular girl, with clothes too tight and long blonde hair. I hate her. I can't believe they're together. Scott deserves someone so much better.

"She's a bitch. I'm going to break up with her soon," he continues, to my relief. But why? He wouldn't like me, obviously. I'm just his friend.

"Oh. Why... is she a bitch?" I ask, not knowing what else to say.

Scott snorts and rolls his eyes. "Why isn't she? She's just so rude, despite the fact that she admitted to cheating on me throughout the summer several times. I was gonna dump her at the end of eighth grade, but I decided to give it another chance," he explains.

Kirstie grunts. "Hm. I never liked her."

"Me neither," I add.

Scott grins. "Yeah. Anyway, I should go. See you later?" he suggests, looking at me.

"Y-yeah," I stammer. 

Scott stands up and heads in the direction of Cassie. As soon as he's out of earshot, I turn to Kirstie. "See? He's straight. I don't know what I'm getting myself into, Kirst," I sigh.

She raises an eyebrow at me. "Mitchie," she says, calling me by an annoying nickname that she made up when we first became friends, "he could be bisexual, you know."

"I know," I admit, "I just don't want to get my hopes up."

I feel like if I do, I'll get hurt. It's only been one day of reuniting with Scott, but I already really like him. But I know how to deal with it. I've liked straight guys before. I just feel like Scott is different.

"Just don't give up, 'kay?" Kirstie ruffles my hair, smiling. I roll my eyes, and the bell rings to go to our next class.