Chapter Thirty-Seven

It had been so long since we had last been here. Rachel was married and pregnant with Paul's baby. Leah had gone over to La Push to create peace between Sam and Emily... And finally, she had agreed to become godmother to Alex who was now aged five. Leah was currently dating some guy she had met in her art college class. Seth was doing pretty well for himself too. He was studying several things such as medicine and teaching. Sue was proud of him.

Embry had done his college studies and had come back to La Push. He had started to run a club with new members of shape-shifters. Sam helped out a bit.

Quil was still looking after Claire. Claire who was now fourteen.

Life was flashing by. Renesmee had not changed at all and neither had I. However Nessie had achieved diplomas and more in medicine and could work at a hospital if she wanted.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" I asked Nessie. She was reading a book on the sofa.

"Sure." She closed the book and joined me by the door frame. I gestured for her to go first. She walked out of the house and suddenly everyone looked up. Alice placed twenty hundred dollars on the floor.

"Bet she says yes." Rosalie crossed her fingers and mouthed good luck to me as Emmett and Jasper laid their bets.

"Good luck, Jacob." Carlisle murmured to me. I thanked the doctor and looked at Bella and Edward. They were smiling gently.

"You have our blessing, Jacob," Edward said.

"Thank you both." I left the house.

*****

Renesmee and I walked hand in hand along La Push beach. The sun was setting and it looked beautiful. Finally, I stopped and stood in front of Renesmee, taking her hands in both of mine. She looked at me with a mix of both peace and surprise.

"Nessie... I love you so much."

"I love you too. What's going on?" I got down on one knee. Renesmee's eyes opened wider and wider.

"Renesmee Carlie Cullen, I love you. There could never be anyone else in the world that is more perfect and beautiful than you. Knowing my feelings for you would never go, I see no reason as to why wait any longer than we already have. So please Renesmee, do me the wonderful honour of becoming my wife. Marry me." I pulled out the box, opened the lid and showed her the ring. Renesmee hesitated and as she hesitated, a smile spread across her lips slowly.

"Of course I will marry you!" She bent down, putting her hands on either side of my face and kissed me. I smiled, kissing her back. She then moved back and I stood up so I could put the ring on her third finger on her left hand. I kissed the ring once it was in the correct place and then kissed her again.