Chapter 11

“Sage?” 

Sage jumped as she heard Gakobe’s voice. “Oh, hey, sorry I was kind of sick last night.”

“It’s okay. How about we take that pregnancy test now?”

“Shouldn’t we take it in your office?”

“Yeah, I’ll grab my keys and I can drive us both.” He got a pair of keys from a coat hanger and opened the door, “Ladies first,” he cooed, acting like a gentlemen. Sage walked out to his car, a silver Lexus.

They drove in silence for a while, occasionally looking at each other and smiling. Once they arrived, Gakobe unlocked the door and went into the back to put on his medical clothes. While Sage was waiting, Heather came through the door. 

“Oh, hello Sage!”

“Hey Heather, how are you?”

“I’m okay, how are you”

“Well, I’m here so I must be good-Not because of Gakobe or anything like that, just because I like the, uh, decor.”

“Okay.” 

“Hello Heather, didn’t notice you were here yet!” Gakobe’s voice sounded from behind Sage. 

“Yeah, I thought I’d show up early.”

“Well that’s wonderful. Sage, if you’ll come in the back for those tests.” Sage followed him into the back where he handed her a pregnancy test. 

“Go into the bathroom, take the test, and bring it directly to me,” he instructed. She did as she was told and stepped into the bathroom. She took a big breath as she bent over the toilet and gave the stick what it needed. God, I hope this baby is his. Sage exited the bathroom and took the test to Gakobe. He set it in a tray and started a timer for one minute. The minute passed very fast, and Gakobe picked up the test. 

“Congratulations, Sage. You’re pregnant.”

Sage smiled and looked at her stomach, “Wow,” she breathed. 

“The Wilson’s will be pleased,” he commented. 

“Gakobe.”

“Yes?”

“Can we talk about the possibility of this baby being yours?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because it is not a current issue, and I do not wish to spend anymore time on this topic. Understood?” His harshness took her by surprise. 

“Uh, yeah. I understand.” Her phone started to buzz. It was Tina, her best friend for the past two years. Tina had been on a trip to Paris for the last three months to celebrate her twenty-first birthday, and she got back today. “I have to take this,” Sage whispered to Gakobe as she pressed the ‘Answer’ button on her phone.

“Hey Girl! What’ve you been up to, Sage?”

“Some pretty big stuff, actually. Can we meet up?”

“Sure, I want you to dish on everything.”

“I will, and I want you to tell me all about Paris.’

“There’s so much to tell. Larner’s Coffee Shop?”

“Sounds good. 15 minutes?”

“See you there!”