Chapter 1 : "But You Not Deadass"

{Jahseh Onfroy}

"Flight 0809 has landed. Thank you for flying with United Airlines."

Once I hear that, I stand. This has been a long ass flight, 5 hours and 50 minutes to be exact. But, who's counting? My legs had fallen asleep so it felt like they were being jabbed with small pens and needles. I see my mother shaking my little brother to wake him up.

"C'mon Aiden. We gotta get off the plane." She kept shaking his shoulder gently. I knew that wasn't going to work.

" 'cuse me ma. I got this." I waited for her to swap places with me so I could get closer to my brother. When I got next to him, I leaned over.

"AIDEN! GET THAT ASS UP!" I screamed in his ear and he startled awake. Other people trying to get off the plane looked in our direction while my mother acted as if she didn't know us. When they diverted their attention elsewhere, she smacked me on the back of my neck. I winced.

"Why the hell would you do that, Jahseh? We'en even get to the house yet and you starting trouble." I couldn't help but look back at my brother and laugh. Lil nigglet was gone cry.

"J-Jah, why would you do that?" Aw shit, his lip was quivering.

"Hey, hey. Don't cry. Big boys don't cry over little things, remember?" I really didn't want him to start crying, cause that meant the minute we got to our new home, ma was gone let all hell loose.

Before Aiden could respond, our mother did. "Big boys also aren't mean to their brothers." She said looking at us and frowning. "Now get y'all asses moving before I give y'all something to cry about."

-

My ma opened the door and when she did, I was suprised. The apartment looked so nice and I haven't even fully explored it. The first thing I saw was the living room. It had a large black sofa, right in the middle. I'm glad ma got black, means Aiden won't create any visible stains that I'd be responsible for. Walking inside, I could see it was much larger than I anticipated. There was a flat screen TV on the opposite side of the couch. There was a coffee table, filled with pictures of Aiden, Mom, and I. On the walls, there were pictures of us individually, leading to a staircase. The staircase wall had stickers that said "Bless this home and all who enter." and "FAITH - HOPE - LOVE : The Greatest of these is LOVE." Sappy shit. I walked up the staircase to see a hallway with 5 doors, 3 on one side , 2 on the other.

"ye'en gotta be afraid, Jah. Go to the second door on your right hand side." I hadn't noticed my mother behind me.

Like instructed, I walked to the door and twisted the knob. I pushed the door open and my eyes widened.

I walked into the room to find it had a black, grey, and white scheme. The bed was already made, with black pillows, sheets, and a large black blanket. The walls were grey, with windows on the lefthand side. The windows were covered with white curtains, see this was gone be a bitch. The sun was gone shine on them damn curtains and blind me. Oh well.

To complete the set, I had a white nightstand drawer and dressers. The TV stand was a light grey and held a flat screen TV, smaller than the one in the living room.

"Do you like it?" Once again, my ma sneaks up on me. I responded with a simple nod of my head, not wanting to excite her with how much I really liked the room.

"Well I'm glad. Come back downstairs with your brother and I." With that she exited the room. I followed not too closely behind her, shutting my room door.

When we got downstairs, I smelled fried chicken. I guess when I was in the room, I was too preoccupied to smell the food. My mother walked to the kitchen, only to approach me again.

"Sweetie, I'm real sorry about this, but can you go to the nearby supermarket for me? I need elbow noodles for tonight's dinner." I glared at her lightly so she wouldn't notice. After she gave me a pleading look, I gave in.

"Fine."

-

I don't even know why my ass was mad. The supermarket was only five blocks away, if you counted my block.

I looked for the little sign thing above the aisles and walked into the one that said "Pasta". I scanned for the elbow noodles, finding them next to the lasagna noodle. I should mention that to mom.

I paid and walked out the store, pulling my hoodie over my head. I was 2 blocks away from my house when I heard:

"Ayo babygirl, can I have your number?"

I knew it wasn't directed towards me, I'm not a female.

"Ma in the yellow sweater, turn around."

I had on a yellow sweater, still ain't change the fact that I'm a male.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my waist and I jumped. Who the fuck is touching me?

I turned around to face a dark skin boy. He had on a durag and snapback. I thought New York left that in the early 2000's.

"So, you was just gone ignore me like that?" He questioned. I mean, why would I respond to a stranger?

"You said "Ma" and "Babygirl". Ian think you were talm to me." He heard my voice and his eyes widened.

"But, you not deadass. You a nigga?" A look of disbelief spread across his face.

"I am." I really ain't feel like talking to a stranger in an unknown neighborhood. This how lil niggas get snatched. Before I had the chance to walk away, the boy grabbed my wrist.

"Female or not, you still fine as hell. Wassup with you?" He had a grip on my wrist and it sent tingles up my spine. I still ain't know this nigga. I also ain't understand that damn slang he was using.

" "Wassup with you"? What does that mean?" He stared at me in disbelief.

"I'm tryna ask if you in a relationship or something. You not from around here, are you?" Captain Obvious at his finest.

"Well aren't you the little Sherlock Holmes. No, I'm not in a relationship and no, I'm not from around here." I sighed, I really wanted to go home and lay down. I guess he heard my sigh cause he looked flustered and began to speed up with his words.

"Okay, I know you probably wanna go home and that's cool. I just wanna let you know you finer than anyone I seen around here and I'm just tryna shoot my shot with you. Lemme get your number and I can show you around. You know, take you on a date or somethin'." He smiled at the end making me smile too.

I pulled out my phone hearing him mutter an "Oh shit, I just pulled a baddie." I chuckled and gave him my phone so he could put his number in. I seen him type for a bit and he then handed me back my phone. My cheeks flared up when I seen what he had put his contact name as.

"Daddy 🤤💍"

He chuckled and regained my attention. "I never got your name, shawty." I smiled.

"Jahseh. Jahseh Onfroy." It was his turn to smile now.

"Nice name. I'm Stokeley. Stokeley Goulborne. Send me a text so I can save your number. I'll see you around, mamas." With that and a hug, he went on his way.

I continued on my way home. I rung the bell so my ma could open the door.

"Dammit, boy. Where the hell you been? It's been 45 minutes." I check the time on my phone and she's right.

"I made a new friend ma." I handed her the grocery bag and walked upstairs.