Old Friends

* "I didn't know you were such a good cook Kaneki." Yoriko chirped.

"Back when I could eat," He scratched the back of his head. "Wow, that sounds weird." Ken laughed nervously. "I cooked for myself all my life."

*"Your mom didn't cook for you?"

"My mom died when I was young, and even when she was alive she didn't really have time. She never stopped working." His voice wasn't sad, but distant-- as if it was so long ago it was just another fact.

*"And your dad?"

"I don't remember him." She stopped chopping the carrots she was cutting.

*"I'm so sorry."

He laughed. "Frank McCourt once said "'The happy childhood is hardly one worth while'. It made me a good cook, as you say."

* "Yeah."

"I've never made Potato Korokke or Honey Kasutera before."

He set the platter of food onto the dinning room table, careful not to disrupt the fully set table.

Yoriko put the carrot slices onto a small plate and accompanied it with a handful of Arugula. 

* "I've never seen Touka so happy. We have been friends for so many years, and she always seemed a little sad. But now, her smiles are never faked." Her voice wavered. "It's just so amazing to see how the world has come together in a matter of weeks." Tears streamed down her face.

"Here" Kaneki handed her a tissue.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get so--"

"No. What you said... It means a lot."

She threw away the tissue and began to slice the hard boiled eggs.

"Yoriko?"

*"Hmm?"

"What profession did Touka want to go into during High School?" Her cutting slowed, but did not stop.

*"She wanted to be a teacher... but since she couldn't go to college since Antieku was burned down-- the CCG knew everyone who worked their and knew she was a ghoul. So she ran 'RE' with Yomo, but you know all that."

"Do you think she still wants to be a teacher?"

*"I don't know. People change-- so much has changed-- you should ask her.

Yoriko added carrot slices, Arugula, and the thinly sliced boiled egg into the pot of Raman.

* "If it's any consolation she did talk about wanting kids."

"Really?"

"Yeah, we both want two kids."

She set the pot on the table. Kaneki added a basket of biscuits, and rice to the set up.

* "I think we're done!" Yoriko chirped.

"Wait." Ken dug into the cabinet under the sink and pulled out three candle sticks.

* "Do you really think Hide and candles is a good mix?" She joked

"Don't worry, they're battery powered. It still melts the wax to get the smell, but lessens the risk of fire."

Yoriko laughed a little harder then she probably should have.

"What?"

*"Nothing, It's just... you're so worried about being a dad when you basically already are one."

Ken's faced ached with how wide he was smiling.