Chapter 9

December
18 weeks

There was something soothing about locking the doors on a cold night, lighting a few candles , ordering Chinese and watching mind-numbing Teen romance films on Netflix. That was my plans for the night. If I could find something to wear.

"Nothing fits" I whined at my reflection in the mirror. I was currently trying to make a red t-shirt and yoga pants look cute and casual but instead I felt fat.

My t-shirt, which was already short to begin with now looked like a crop top around my swollen tummy. My trousers, while still fitted round my waist and my little bump, just wouldn't sit right so the bump was just on full display.

I could put on one of my pyjama tshirts but I was fed up always dressing like a slob when I got in from work. I could put a jumper on but the hormones were giving me an average body temperature similar to the sun and despite opening every bloody window in the flat I was still roasting. And the rain kept blowing in the gap and soaking my windowsills so I chose to shut the windows and opt for less clothes.

I rifled through my wardrobe trying to find something comfier to wear but I was coming up short. Not that I was getting dressed up to go anywhere, it was Saturday night, Allison was busy and I was going to order Chinese food and Skype my parents for the dreaded big reveal. Just for once I didn't want to feel like an ugly slob.

I pulled my laptop out from under the coffee table and plopped myself down on the couch after giving up and sticking with the red adidas tshirt. I opened up the ASOS website and searched for their maternity range. I assumed Maternity clothing was frumpy and conservative and not like anything I'd chose to wear on a daily basis but as I began adding stuff into my basket I realised there were some really cute pieces. I found some cute little t-shirts, a few long sleeved tops for if I ever felt cool again, a couple of dresses that would be great for work when I got a bit bigger, a pair of over-bump black skinny jeans and a few pairs of cigarette trousers and I hadn't even started on coats. I was so lost in clothing that I didn't initially register the sound of my doorbell. The melodic tune infiltrated my subconscious on the second ring and I considered not answering. I hadn't ordered dinner yet and Allison was out on a date, so there wasn't anyone else I was that interested in seeing. Well not anyone that would come to my door. Unless...

My curiosity got the better of my and I managed to answer it before he was able to ring the bell for the third time.

"Harry? What're you doing here?" My brows knitted together in confusion, I quickly moved to the side to let him in out, of the rain. A gust of wind hurled in behind him and I suddenly became very conscious of my lack of clothing. I pulled at the hem of my t-shirt trying to cover myself up a bit but it was no use.

"I brought dinner" He offered me a large white paper bag which I took from him as he pulled his coat off hanging it on the rail I had beside the front door.

"I'm leaving for L.A on Monday so I thought we could... hang out? Before I go" He shrugged suddenly looking nervous. "You don't have plans do you?"

"No, no" I gesture for him to follow me into the living room where I place the warm bag beside my laptop.

"I was just going to Skype my mum and dad actually. I still haven't told them about the baby" I grimace.

"Ohhh" Harry's lips formed a perfect O as he nods in understanding. "Well, I could be here for moral support? Or... I could talk to them too if you wanted?"

"Probably not a good idea" I shook my head as I turned to go into the kitchen.

"Why? Are you going to tell them it's mine? Or who I am, I mean?" He asked, following me into the kitchen. He had one of those gaudy knitted jumpers on. This one was black adorned with bright yellow stars. I avoided looking at him by getting plates and cups out.