Chapter 21

I stayed close to the door, I knew how dangerous Pitch was and he was ‘Stay close to the door dangerous’ if not worse. 

“What are you doing here?” I said, harshly. He laughed, for what reason, I don’t know.

“I noticed something Elsa.” He extended his hands and moved closer. I put my hand behind my back and held the doorknob. “You like Jack.” My breath caught. And he laughed again, as if the idea amused him, but only slightly. “It’s true Elsa.” He exclaimed. He stepped back and walked in an oval shape around the room. “YOU LIKE JACK FROST.” He yelled. It made me shudder. What if Jack had actually heard that? It took a couple of seconds for me to stop looking out the window for him. But he really wasn’t around. “So where is he?” Pitch asked me. “Elsa, where is the victor to your heart?”

“How would I know?” I replied.

“I wonder.” Pitch moved and sat on my bed, raising one leg on top of the each other. “I wonder how your heart feels right now.” He asked. “Does it contact to a funny angle every time you see Jack, hmmmmm?” he pondered. “Does it beat faster when he’s close to you? When he touches you perhaps? No, when he touches you, I bet it’s like your melting? Like you want to melt into him?”

“What is it to you?” I asked. Pitch’s eyes sunk for a very short second, his face seem to slop downwards, his eyebrows no longer a slick, but heavy over his eyes. “Do you think I’m a fool, Elsa?” Pitch asked. Elsa neither nodded nor shook her head, she couldn’t understand who Pitch was, but Pitch had begun to betray himself as evil, and that is exactly how Elsa planned to see him. “I’m an outcast.” Pitch murmured. “They called me a lot of things, like a sorcerer, a monster, you and I are on the same page.” Elsa couldn’t say anything. She had been called a sorcerer, she had been called a monster, and she had been frowned upon for being different. But if people had called Pitch Black those things too, was it just a misunderstanding? “I didn’t ask for this Elsa, I didn’t ask to be like this. I didn’t ask to be a monster.” Tiny black clouds appeared around his finger and then disappeared. “I was ignored, and hated, people acted as if I didn’t exist anymore. I was literally invisible. I would say to you Elsa, that you don’t know what it’s like to be so alone. But you do.” His face was still sunken but his eyes had a little more fire in them. “I was loved a very long time ago. I had a family back then; a wife, and even a child. A happy life, then I was closed off from the world, I couldn’t ever see them again, and I was ignored. Elsa, you know exactly how that feels, don’t you. You had such fun with you sister, Anna, then it all had to stop, because of her selfish decision. You know that incident wasn’t your fault, it was your sisters.”

“No.” I said firmly against him, I was quivering.

“Yes, and I know you have thought, that if only my sister listened to me, if only she used her god forsaken brain for once, she might not have gotten hurt. You might not have been locked in your room. All those years of crying by yourself, and it was all her fault.” His voice went so harsh that every word was piercing me.

“No.” I said firmer.

“The funny thing is Elsa. It’s not your fault, it’s hers. And you know it. I know these things.” Pitch said, pushing himself off the bed and walking towards me. “Because I know fear. I know that you feared anyone finding out, that you hated your sister because of it.”

“I love Anna.” I yelled.

“Oh, I know you do, she saved your life, she is your only sister, and she is the only resemblance you have to your parents. But she was stupid and didn’t listen to you. You didn’t get to be a child because of her. Locked up in your room, saying the same childish chant over and over again to try and calm yourself down. And for what, because of your sister.” He yelled, less than a meter away.

“No.” I screamed back, I was crying, my tears had turned to ice as soon as they left my eyes and they shattered on the ground and broke at my feet.

“I know fear, Elsa. I know that you love your sister, and I know you never want to find out how much hate you have for her.”

“I don’t hate her, I love her.” I argued back. Pitch nodded.

“I have a proposal for you.” He asked. “Do you think your sister would like you if you were normal?” Elsa’s breath caught. “What if you never had ice powers? What if you were normal like Anna? Like everyone else, would you be in this same situation? Do you think I wouldn’t be tormenting you, if you didn’t have powers?” he asked.

“What?” I asked in a very hushed voice.

“This isn’t really your choice in the end. But more of a test. You say you love both Anna and Jack. But in what way do they really love you? Is it you Elsa, or does Anna love you to make sure you keep your powers under control. And as for Jack, do you think he would like you still if you had no powers.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” My grip tightened on the door handle, behind me. Pitch’s arm spread out and grasped my arm which was behind my back and pulled me forward close to him, my head hit his chest and he managed to grab my other wrist.

“I’m not only a scary monster under a child’s bed.” Pitch warned. Black silvery magic spread from his fingers and started to cover every inch of Elsa’s body. “I’m not only the nightmares you see every time you close your eyes.” The dust made it to her shoulders and then split, doing down toward her feet and up toward her head. “But I can change people, and save lives. Elsa, you and I both know that ignorance is not bliss.” Elsa started to scream and the dust climbed up her throat, it felt like sticky sand that she couldn’t shake off. “Good night Elsa.” The dust covered her eyes, and her ears, her forehead, her legs, her feet, her hair and her toes.