Chapter 3

When I hurt Anna and she had forgotten everything we did completely I hid in my room. Vowing not to hurt her and teaching myself how to control my powers. At the time I had been frightened of the destruction that I may cause one day and I lived in fear of having anyone come near me. The castle staff never ventured as far as into my room. It my isolated sanctuary. There was one thing that kept me company during my time in my room of solitude. That was a book. I had plenty of books in my room which I could delve deep into and read but this particular book was like it was made for me. It was called Jack Frost. I had fist laid eyes on it when I was young in the castle’s library late at night. Because I avoided Anna during the day I had time to move around the castle at night. There were thousands upon thousands of books in the library and I came upon that book by complete chance while I was reading a story about a deer princess. I was up on a high nook of one of the shelves reading by candle light when I dropped the book and it fell down from three stories where it bumped off a particular thick book that jutted out of the case. The Deer Princess summersaulted across the room from the blow knocking another book case of loose books.  Three of the books fell out and onto the ground creating a clutter of noise. I had gracefully and quickly made my way down the ladder and without much thinking I grabbed all four books and raced out of the library just as a few of the castle guards raced in. I collapsed in my room. Closing and locking my door and looking over all my books that I had collected. All of the books, except for the Deer Princess I had never seen before. Melanora’s Snow Parade. Snowflake designs. Then the last one that I was so surprised by. The curious adventures of Jack Frost. The boy of the cold. I had gone to bed that night with all the books by my side. Not daring to read any during the night in case I had to fall asleep and miss a scentence, a word or even a letter. Melanora’s snow parade was about a girl that couldn’t go out in the snow. If she got too cold she would die. It was a friendship book, mainly between Melanora and her brother. But there was also a love story in with Melanora and Edgar, who was apparently an insanely hot guy in both ways. The book ended with Melanora and Edgar sitting in the snow and kissing. It was quite a sweet story. Snowflake designs was a book completely decked out with illustrations of snowflakes. Someone in the past had taken their time to sit down during the winter and draw every single snowflake they could possibly find and writing a book about it. How many winters had it taken them? How patient was Daniel Bradwick for taking his time to create such a wonder? I would sit down on my bed, flicking through every single page, teaching myself under my own guidance to create a snowflake like the one represented on the page. I had become a master of every single one after several weeks and had chosen particular fondness to several. The last book. The Curious adventures of Jack Frost. The boy of the Cold.  Became my favourite book of all time. It was about a time old boy called Jack Frost who had a strange power. He had snow/ice powers. This intrigued me. I wasn’t alone. Jack Frost was born on the middle of a cold day. He rose out of the snow as if he had been sleeping for only a few days. The snow itself had created him. He automatically knew who he was. What he was doing. He was the man of the ice itself. Partly made out of snow himself. Jack Frost was a playful man. He would play tricks on children with his snow powers. Snow ball fights with the children. He created large snowman sculptures outside of people’s houses and would be thoroughly thrilled when they went outside in the morning to find them looming on front of them. In summer he would move to a different part of the world and have fun there, sometimes he would feel bored of that place so he would head somewhere in the world and make it awfully chilly there or even do as much as make it snow. There was a bad side to him though. The murderous side of Jack Frost. Despite the fact that Jack Frost brought a lot of fun and glee to the days of snow and ice his practical jokes went too far. Due to his fun and games he had drowned many people, not on purpose. He had caused avalanches which killed and made it too cold for people to continue breathing. He never did it on purpose and he never had much regret for when people died either. He believed it was there fault for getting in his road of fun. Despite how cruel Jack Frost could be it became my favourite book. For someone else to processes ice powers like myself made me feel less lonely and for some reason I felt like having ice powers was more acceptable, despite what my parents said. Reading that book led me to do things like open my window and use my ice powers making it snow occasionally over the court yard. That got me in trouble. My parents would barge inside and yell at me for doing such things. I used my powers more often but after time and a large amount of yelling I stopped. Realising that it wasn’t acceptable and I had to realise it was only a book character. I had to conceal my powers again. Learn to control them. I kept the book close though. The only acceptable reason to use my powers was because of that book. I always kept it under my pillow. Somewhere I was always close to because I had never ventured outside. I hadn’t read the book for a long time now. The last time I could remember my eyes scrolling down those pages must have been a year and a half ago. I looked toward Jack Frost, who stood before me. He wasn’t a real person. I had discovered that a long time ago. He was a character in my book. He was a playful murder and he was standing right in front of me.